These are the additions, changes and corrections of 2014.
For earlier ones see 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008 , 2009, 2010,
2011, 2012, 2013
Note this is a selection of the changes on this site and in Nederlog:
Small changes of typos are not mentioned, and not all additions may be listed here.
But all the main changes to the site are listed here.
JANUARY - FEBRUARY - MARCH - APRIL - MAY - JUNE - JULY - AUGUST -
SEPTEMBER - OCTOBER - NOVEMBER - DECEMBER
- Dec 31: There are three files at the end of the year: First Crisis: Bernie Sanders quoted: "Fight for Our Progressive Vision" This has just one item: A quotation of Senator Bernie Sanders, simply because I liked it; second, Index for 2014 which is the commented index file of Nederlog (and the rest of the site for 2014); and third and last is me+ME: End of year notice: The world, the people, the disease, which is mostly a repeat of earlier files, though with a few small changes.
- Dec 30: Crisis: Economics, Greece, Greed, Snowden Docs, Civilizations : And another crisis log, with 5 articles with 5 dotted links: Item 1 is about the failure of republican economics; item 2 is about Greece and its left; item 3 is about how billions got stolen from the American people; item 4 is about another revelation from Snowden; and item 5 discusses a not very well-phrased article.
- Dec 29: Crisis: U.S Prisons+Afghan War+40 Years Ago+Total Surveillance+NSA's War : And another crisis log, with 5 articles with 5 dotted links (but see item 5: there is a lot more available): Item 1 is an article by Chris Hedges on the - quite sick - prison system of the U.S.; item 2 is on "the end" of the Afghan war, which was announced yesterday, but seems mostly hokum; item 3 is a serious consideration of the question whether the U.S. population was better off 40 years ago; item 4 is an article on totalitarianism - total control - that is now being furthered in the U.S. in schools; and item 5 is an excellent article on the international site of Der Spiegel about encryption and spying, that comes with no less than 45 links to lots of information. (This is a definite must-read, even though 45 items is a lot.)
- Dec 28: Crisis: The Economy + ACLU + Secret Treaties + Bill Maher : A more or less ordinary crisis log, with 4 items and 7 dotted links: Item 1 is a survey of some general economic and political tendencies; item 2 is on the ACLU's response to the NSA's forced release of (heavily redacted) documents; item 3 is on the three trade pacts that are being prepared in utter secrecy, that will effect the lives and chances of hundreds of millions; and item 4 is a choice of four short videos by Bill Maher, because I like him, and because he is one of the few who says the things he says, at least in public and on TV.
- Dec 27: Crisis: On ideologies : A crisis log, though a bit special: I give an outline of what ideologies are. There are many links, nearly all to my Philosophical Dictionary, that also gets quoted several times.
- Dec 26: Crisis: NSA + CIA + TTIP + Hazlitt on Johnson : The first three items are - quite good, though neither will make you happy - articles on the crisis, and the fourth is a fine tribute by Hazlitt to Johnson, who are two of my favorite writers, even though both are dead a long time).
- Dec 25: Crisis: Reich + Carlin : This is a brief crisis file that deals with Robert Reich and George Carlin, but that is smaller than I originally intended because I slept really badly last night. Hopefully,
I am better tomorrow.
- Dec 24: Crisis: On some difficulties with writing about the crisis - 2 : The second of two articles of this title.
- Dec 23: Crisis: On some difficulties with writing about the crisis - 1 : The first of two articles of this title. The second one will probably appear tomorrow. This one has 85 links to earlier articles I wrote in the crisis series, and also gives some backgrounds.
- Dec 22: me+ME: Update about supplements and condition : An update on my supplements, M.E. and bad and painful eyes: The M.E. got a bit less, and my eyes also improved to the extent that now, after 2 1/2 years, I returned to 1 pair of glasses, instead of 3 pairs, and also I could scale back the background color of Firefox to #CCCCFF, which is an improvement. There may be another Nederlog today, but I don't know since I have to do several things and go out several times. Well... there is, though it is a short one: On The Guardian's website : I do hope the website's look of today is merely because of some (unannounced) maintenance.
- Dec 21: Crisis: Cheney, Torture, Cuba, Wall Street, Weekly Crisis : A crisis log, indeed the first weekly one (it's Sunday): There are 5 items today, with 4 dotted links: Item 1 is about Greenwald on Cheney; item 2 is about how the CIA's torturing people is received in the Arab world; item 3 is about Cuba; item 4 is about yet another big giveaway by Obama's government to the bankers; and item 5 is about the present file and the making of weekly surveys of the crisis (which you do not need to read).
Also I re-uploaded the last three files of my autobiography (all from November of this year) in new versions: The same text, but the parts of 1984 now are in blue, and also start with two italiced words in new paragraphs. This is like it was in earlier autobiographical files.
- Dec 20: There are two brief Nederlogs today: First, About M.E./CFS, which is in fact the old addition to the files of Nederlog, that I have today removed. A file like the present one, but larger, will take its place in 2015. Second, The Philosophical Dictionary + Dutch properties fell radically + Nederlog changes, which charts my plains for the Philosophical Dictionary (hopefully to be finished in the first version in 2015); gives some numbers that show the average Dutchman has lost 40% of his properties since 2008; and lists and briefly explains the changes in Nederlog.
- Dec 19: Crisis: Why I stop the daily crisis series : Another daily crisis log, indeed one of the last daily ones: There are 3 items with 1 dotted link: Item 1 is about George Carlin and me, and has a nice video as a link; item 2 explains why I stop the daily crisis series as it has been done the last 1 1/2 years; and item 3 explains what will come in its stead.
- Dec 18: Crisis: USA*2, Bank, UK Tortures, Cuba, Inside Traders, Russia, Nader, Crisis : A crisis log, indeed one of the last ones: There are 9 items with 11 dotted links: Item 1 is about America's future; item 2 is about America's present; item 3 is about negative interest rates by banks; item 4 is about the UK's torturing; item 5 is about Cuba; item 6 is about inside trading; item 7 is about Russia's economic collapse; item 8 is Ralph Nader on the Senate's torture report; and item 9 is about my decision to stop the crisis series.
- Dec 17: Crisis: Torture*2, Food, Wall Street, Sanders, CIA, Criminals : A crisis log: There are 7 items and 8 dotted links: Item 1 is Glenn Greenwald on the fact that more than half of the Americans are for torture, with an extra dotted link thrown in to an article by Peter Maass; item 2 is on a George Monbiot article; item 3 is on what caused the bankmanagers' new bill; item 4 is about Senator Sanders, whom I like (more than not); item 5 is about a justified reaction to the torture report; item 6 is a good article on the fact that by now the American government clearly is using criminal means; and item 7 outlines the poll that showed more than half of the Americans want people tortured (well, subjected to "enhanced interrogations", or rather: EIT-ed, really: that's what the American majority wants done, to others, to be sure).
- Dec 16: Crisis: Cheney, Tories, Pills, CIA, ISIS, Torture, Propaganda : A crisis log: There are 7 items with 7 dotted links: Item 1 is on Cheney; item 2 is on the Tories who try to stop the poor breeding; item 3 is on medicine (which I think is thoroughly sick, and made sick by Big Pharma); item 4 is about the CIA; item 5 is about ISIS (and a parallel with Israel that I mostly reject); item 6 is about torture (and Cheney); and item 7 is about the media and propaganda, and makes some good points.
- Dec 15: New in 2013-2014 on this site in philosophy : Not a crisis log but the copy of an update in the philosophy section. It's in Nederlog because most of the articles are from Nederlog, and they
deserve reading. Also uploaded today, each with some small corrections and additions: autobio 16, 17 and 18. And there is this: Crisis: Obama, Truthdiggers, Rand, Torture*3, Climate : Another crisis log: There are 7 items with 7 dotted links: Item 1 is on a present Obama gave to Jamie Dison; item 2 is about two - quite unlikely - truthdiggers on Truthdig (but they deserved it, I agree); item 3 is about Ayn Rand, who really was quite horrific, far from sane, and totally incompetent as a philosopher or a writer; item 4, item 6 and item 7 are all about torture (various aspects, indeed); and item 5 is about yet another failed climate conference.
- Dec 14: Crisis: GCHQ, Torture, Tories, Troops, British Poor, Surveillance, GOP, Risen : Another crisis log: There are 8 items and 8 dotted links: Item 1 is about the British spies hacking Belgium's largest telco, and is interesting; item 2 says Rifkind says that he wants the U.S. to reveal the British links to torture (?!); item 3 shows the Tories are copying the GOP by massing money to buy the elections; item 4 shows the British are still fighting in Iraq, also on the ground; item 5 shows dramatic increases in low pay and zero-hours in Great Britain since 2008; item 6 assures us John Naughton knows who is responsible for all the spying: We are (not the spies, not the government, not the secret courts: We, the users); item 7 is about the GOP's planks in the 2016 election; and item 8 is about Risen who may not have to testify in court about his source.
There also was an update to the Philosophy frame, and to New in philosophy in 2010-2012, and New in philosophy in 2013-14. (More tomorrow.)
- Dec 13: Crisis: British, Torture, Corporations, Evil, Abolition, CIA, Debts : A crisis log:
There are 7 items and 8 dotted links: Item 1 is about how the British cooperated with torture and Lord West tries to act as if this is nothing; item 2 is about a fine piece by Ralph Nader; item 3 is about the fact that around 66 corporate lawyers have the ears of the present Scotus; item 4 is about the debate about torture (that I - whose father and grandfather were tortured by the Nazis - have a few uncommon ideas about); item 5 is about Obama's great plans and awful executions; item 6 is about the fact that quite a few of the people the CIA employed initially were untrained for their work; and item 7 is about debt, and pretty fundamental and good.
- Dec 12: Crisis: Greenwald, UK Torture?, Shutdown, Snowden, CIA, Torture, Banks, Interrogation : This is a crisis log: There are 8 items with 8 dotted links: Item 1 is a good interview with Glenn Greenwald; item 2 is about the fact that all links to the UK's cooperation in torturing have been classified; item 3 is about the omnibus spending bill, as is item 7: More money for the banks, and bigger political donations by the rich; item 4 is about a recent remark of Snowden; item 5 is about the CIA escaping punishment; item 6 asks what to do to stop torture; and item 8 is a 2007 item on the terms the Gestapo used for torturing: "enhanced interrogation", when translated.
- Dec 11: Crisis: CIA*3, Rusbridger, Bahrain, Austerity, Obama, Spying, Terry Jones : This is an ordinary crisis log: There are 9 items with 10 dotted links: Item 1, item 3 and item 4 are about the CIA (various aspects); item 2 about Alan Rusbridger, who will step down as chief editor of The Guardian; item 5 is about Bahrain; item 6 about austerity (as a reason to pay the poor less and the rich more); item 7 about why bank managers and CIA officials are never punished (except if whistleblowing); item 8 is about how Congress betrayed the American people once again; and item 9 is about a nearly ten year old interview with Terry Jones (of Monty Python) that I liked.
- Dec 10: Crisis: The U.S. Senate's Torture Report : 10 views : This is a crisis log but not a normal one: It consists of 10 (at least) different views of "the Senate's Torture Report", as it is widely though not technically accurately called, that appeared, at long last, yesterday - or at least
499 redacted pages, of over 6000, were published yesterday. I'll forego a summary, but this is interesting. The next crisis report will be tomorrow.
- Dec 9: Crisis: Power, Guantánamo, Posner, Wealth, Torture, Peer, Starving, Democrats, Torture : And another crisis log: There are 9 items with 9 dotted links: Item 1 is on a good piece by George Monbiot on The Guardian; item 2 is on flawed and quite sick arguments for not releasing Guantánamo footage; item 3 is about Judge Posner (and, I argue, his manichean ethics); item 4 is on an OECD report that blames inequality for the lack of economic growth (rightly); item 5 is on the CIA torture report that may be released, heavily shortened and redacted; item 6 is about the "let the poor eat cake" attitudes of a Tory peer; item 7 is about starving in present day Britain (yes, it happens); item 8 is on the Democratic Party's love for Wall Street; and item 9 is a long and good article on torture.
- Dec 8: Crisis: Guantánamo, Captives, CEOs, CO2, "Democracy", Propaganda, Corruption, Law : Another crisis log: There are 8 items with 8 dotted links: Item 1 is about American justice; item 2 is Hedges on our Western societies; item 3 is a brief item on the obscene incomes the rich award themselves; item 4 is an item that says it takes a decade (more or less) to see measurable changes of the warming up of the earth; item 5 is a good article on the large declines in democracy; item 6 is a fine article on the triumph of propaganda over journalism; item 7 is a brief article about evident gross corruption in the U.S.; and item 8 is a fine article on the silence of most lawyers in the U.S.
- Dec 7: Crisis: Pentagon, NSA+GCHQ, Awful writing, Credit Cards, Taxes, Animal addicts : This is another crisis log. There are 6 items with 6 dotted links: Item 1 is about the new Pentagon chief; item 2 is about the NSA and the GCHQ; item 3 is an example of how not to argue and not to write; item 4 is Ralph Nader on 10 reasons why he does not have a credit card; item 5 is for a stronger British state in which there are more taxes (and I agree); and item 6 is not about the crisis but about the facts that most mammals get high on similar substances as humans do, while the animals do so because they really like it.
- Dec 6: Crisis: British, Book Ban, Data, Torture, Spying, Chief, China, Surveillance, CBT : This is a crisis log. There are 9 items with 9 dotted links: Item 1 shows that, thanks to Tory government, the British workers got poorer than almost anbody else; item 2 is about a lifting of forbidding to send books to imprisoned family members (!!) in Great Britain (which is a bit of Tory sadism, I take it); item 3 is by Ben Goldacre on data-mining, but I doubt he knows enough and is honest; item 4 shows the White House does not want to see the Senate's report on torture being published; item 5 is an odd item on an odd British court that said that spying on everyone is "not necessarily illegal"; item 6 is about a warning by a leading policeman that Great Britain is drifting towards a police state; item 7 is about a very powerful Chinese who got accused of serious corruption; item 8 is about surveillance in Great Britain; and item 9 is medical and about Cognitive Behavorial Therapy, which indeed is just fraudulent bullshit.
- Dec 5: Crisis: Students, NSA*2, Human Rights, Guantánamo, TPP : This is a crisis log.
There are 6 items with 6 dotted links: Item 1 is about an article by Owen Jones on students, with some by me on apathy; item 2 is on The Intercept about how the NSA hacks cell phones everywhere, and has mostly succeeded; item 3 is the same theme, but dealt with on The Guardian; item 4 is an article by a Chicago lawyer who wants to get rid of human rights, I think for more profits and less clarity; item 5 is about the inconsistencies in Obama's treatment of Guantánamo prisoners; and item 6 is about the inconsistencies in Obama's treatment of the TPP.
- Dec 4: On The Crisis: 1 - Generalities : This is the first of eight more files that attempt to deal with the crisis on a more general level than the daily crisis reports. The present file is a rewrite of two files that originally were published on Dec 25, 2012, and on Jan 16, 2013 (both before Snowden). There is no ordinary crisis file today, but there will be one tomorrow. What I did do is upload a few extensions to my Philosophical Dictionary and also a photography of the house where Agnethe and I lived in 1976 and 1977, that I found on the internet, to autobio 18.
- Dec 3: Crisis: Sen. Sanders, Algorithms, Torture, Hot, Intellectuals, Bribery, Doctors, Medicine : This is a crisis log with 8 items and 9 dotted links: Item 1 is an excellent piece on Senator Sanders' vision; item 2 is about the risks all people run because of the NSA and the GCHQ (i.e. you may get on a terrorist list merely because a friend or a friend of a friend might have written something the GCHQ or the NSA have as search terms); item 3 is about "the torture report" of the U.S. Senate; item 4 is about the fact that we had five of the hottest years in the last 300 years in the previous 25 years; item 5 is an article of Chomsky's on ordinary intellectuals; item 6 is about corporate bribery: there is a lot of it, and it generally is started by the high ups (who also profit); item 7 is a conventional story on why doctors fail, with my own reasons; and item 8 is on the same theme, but written by one of the few good medical doctors I know of, and with an additional dotted link by me.
Also, I have uploaded parts 27, 28 and 29 of my autobio again, with a few small corrections.
- Dec 2: Crisis: Snowden, Dishonesty, Killed, "Deep State", Whistleblowers, Exit Humans, Medicine : This is a crisis log with 7 items and 7 dotted links: Item 1 is about Edward Snowden receiving an award from the Swedish parliament (that, I point out, seems remarkably silent about Julian Assange); item 2 is about the enormous economic dishonesty in the British parliament; item 3 is about the lack of knowledge about how many men get killed each year by the U.S. police; item
4 is a logical exercise on the concept of "deep state"; item 5 is about the secrecies the German government tries to maintain; item 6 is about the possibility that human beings may be extinct real soon; and item 7 is about psychiatry and medicine, both of which are in serious trouble (from a really
scientific point of view: from a financial point of view any fraud that is profitable is a success, proportionally to its profit also, of course).
- Dec 1: First a few updates: I updated yesterday and today the autobiography section: Since November 27, I have added slightly improved versions of autobios 11, 13, 14, 15, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29 and the autobioTOC file. (The stress is on the "slightly": the improvements are small but real.) And here is the crisis file: Crisis: Greenwald on Rifkin, Boris Johnson, Wealth Gap, UN Talks, Changes : It has 5 items with 4 dotted links: Item 1 is on Glenn Greenwald on Malcolm Rifkind; item 2 is on a plan of Boris Johnson to get more power (or so it seems); item 3 is an interesting item on the ever growing wealth gap in the U.S.; item 4 is on UN talks on climate change (that I, for one, expect very little from); and item 5 is a brief personal item.
- Nov 30: Crisis: U.S. Torture, U.S. Plutocracy, Internet, Slaves, Boundaries, Incomes, Russia : A crisis file: There are 7 items with 7 links: Item 1 is about a U.N. report on torture in the U.S.; item 2 is about Bill Moyers on American plutocracy; item 3 is about net neutrality, and I think I disagree (but the article is vague); item 4 is about the - presumed - fact that there are 13,000 slaves in Great Britain; item 5 is about how education is kept separate (as in: "Apartheid") in the U.S.; item 6 is about the ever growing inequality in the U.S. (also with any definition of "income"); and item 7 is about what seems to be a plausible theory about modern Russia.
- Nov 29: Crisis: Tracking, Torture, Terrorists, Lawlessness, Supreme Court, Norman Lear :
A crisis file: There are 6 items with 6 dotted links: Item 1 is on a European idea about tracking users; item 2 is about torture that the U.S. engaged or engages in; item 3 is about surveillance (and while I mostly agree, I also insist surveillance of all was the end, and not a mere by-product); item 4 is a good item on how the present U.S., since 2001, has been based on lawlessness rather than law, in spite of what Obama says; item 5 is about the U.S. Supreme Court (but I hold the title is mistaken); and item 6 is about an opinion of Norman Lear, that I believe.
- Nov 28: Autobio 1984 - deel 3: Tot 1985 : This is a file of my autobiography, mostly in Dutch.
There will be a crisis file later today. Namely here: Crisis: Merkel, U.S. Wars, U.S. Torture Report, Nuclear, Personal : There are 5 items with 6 dotted links: Item 1 is about German Chancellor Angela Merkel; item 2 is Tom Engelhardt on the many U.S. wars; item 3 is about UN experts who plead that the Senate's Torture Report gets published rather than classified; item 4 is on nuclear weapons; and item 5 is a brief personal piece on the crisis series, that will continue as long as my health remains as it was in 2014 (but Nederlog very probably will have a few more non-crisis items: I want to write some more on other topics).
- Nov 27: Crisis: Juncker, Cash-bomb people, Stupidity, Bombs, Net Neutrality, Assange, Keynes : Another crisis log: There are 7 items with 13 dotted links: Item 1 is about a plan of Juncker's that is very unlikely to succeed or help; item 2 is about who should get the money that
the very rich are receiving now: everybody who is not very rich; item 3 is about the working class and stupidity; item 4 is about banks investing in (mostly quite illegal) cluster bombs; item 5 is about a new coalition for net neutrality (and is Good News, which is rare in this crisis series); item 6 is about Assange and Chomsky; and item 7 is about Keynes.
- Nov 26: This a day with three files in Nederlog. The first is a brief one: me+ME: Update about supplements and condition. This is a brief update on the vitamins and minerals I use, and will interest few. The second one is a long one: Autobio 1984 - deel 2: Tot half november 1984
This is part 2 for 1984 of my autobiography. It is mostly in Dutch, and is long because I have very
long journals for 1984 and 1985, that also were the best two years since 1.1.1979, indeed until
2014. Again it will probably interest few. There will be a crisis file later today. It is here: Crisis: Malware, Risen, American Dream, Ferguson, Masters of War : There are 5 items with 5 dotted links: Item 1 is about an article on The Intercept on highly complicated secret malware used to spy on the European Union; item 2 is about an interview Glenn Greenwald had with James Risen; item 3 shows that the American Dream lives on, but not in the U.S. but in Scandinavia; item 4 is
about Ferguson; and item 5 is a song by Bob Dylan, in a life version of 1963: Masters of War (you should listen to it if you don't know it).
- Nov 25: Crisis: Hagel, Smith, NSA, Krugman, College, Snowden, Richter : Another crisis log:
There are 7 items and 8 dotted links: Item 1 is about the dismissal of Chuck Hagel as U.S. defense secretary; item 2 is a nice interview with Harry Leslie Smith by Owen Jones; item 3 is a good interview on AlterNet with Tom Engelhardt; item 4 is Paul Krugman on Ayn-Rand-"economists"; item 5 is Reich on why college still is profitable, probably, moneywise; item 6 is a good review of "Citizenfour"; and item 7 is about the crisis, that still continues, even according to many business leaders.
- Nov 24: Crisis: Crisis, More Poor, Revolutionists, NSA, Citizenfour, Medicine : Another crisis log: There are 6 items with 6 dotted links: Item 1 is about the lack of money to use in case of a further crisis (I mostly agree); item 2 shows the situation is worse than item 1 sketches: there are many more British poor; item 3 is on Chris Hedges call for professional revolutionists (I disagree, and this is today's main item); item 4 is about an attempt to stop the NSA I don't believe will succeed; item 5 is a good review of "Citizenfour"; and item 6 is about the enormous corruptions - worth tens of billions of dollars every year - in modern medicine.
- Nov 23: Crisis: British paedophiliacs, Whistleblowers, Obama, Big Pharma, Congress, Pensions : Another crisis log: There are 6 items with 6 dotted links: Item 1 is about D-notices – warnings not to publish intelligence that might damage national security – (that were disappeared) that were handed out in the 1980ies in England to prevent that the public learned anything about the paedophilia of their political leaders; item 2 is a long and not very good article about whistleblowers; item 3 is about Obama once more not doing what he said, this time about Afghanistan; item 4 is Ralph Nader on Big Pharma and is good; item 5 is a none too good article about the make-up of the American Congress (nearly all millionaires); and item 6 is a decent article about Wall Street's appropriating trillions of dollars of pensions to invest as they please.
- Nov 22: Crisis: Ukip generalized, NSA reform, CIA blocks report on torture : Yet another crisis log, though a fairly small one: It's a Saturday, and I also slept too little. In any case, I found no more than 3 articles with 3 dotted links, and they follow: Item 1 is nominally about Ukip in Great Britain, but it seems to me more is involved, and I sketch it; item 2 is about the fearmongering that killed the NSA reform bill, and is more or less OK but forgot to mention two forces that are effective against the NSA; and item 3 is about the Senate's Report on torture by Bush's CIA, that is obstructed by Obama's White House and the present CIA: The less the democratic voters know, the better this is for the CIA, indeed.
- Nov 21: Crisis: Assange, Amnesty, Groupthink, Impeach Roberts, Exit NHS, Free Encryption : Another crisis log: There are 6 items with 6 dotted links and while, as usual, most of the news I report is not good, items 2 and 6 are quite good: Item 1 is about Julian Assange and the Swedish court; item 2 is about a new tool supported by Amnesty and quite a few others to scan for spyware on computers; item 3 shows how much of the press in the U.S. engages these days in neocon groupthink; item 4 asks a very good question: Should U.S. chief justice Roberts be impeached; item 5 charts another sickening step in Cameron's selling out Great Britain, this time the National Health System; and item 6 gives very good news about encrypting the entire web, for free also.
- Nov 20: Crisis: U.S. Congress *2, living costs and austerity, Ellsberg, Personal : And another crisis log: This contains 6 items with 5 dotted links: Item 1 is about Glenn Greenwald's
explanation that Congress is irrelevant for mass surveillance (I don't quite agree); item 2 is Trevor Timms explanation why Congress doesn't much matter for mass surveillance; item 3 is Larry Elliott on the declining incomes in Great Britain (not of the rich, I hasten to assure you); item 4 is an interesting article on what "austerity" is really about (more riches for the rich, more poverty for the poor); item 5 is an interview with Daniel Ellsberg; and item 6 is a brief personal section that outlines a few small plans for Nederlog.
- Nov 19: Crisis: NSA con's*2, Cameron*2, "Militants", Growth, Tax Deceptions, U.S. Corporations : Another crisis log: There are 8 items with 8 dotted links: Item 1 and 2 are on the major failure of the Senate to start to block spying; item 3 and 4 are about Cameron's warnings of a new crisis; item 5 is about Glenn Greenwald on the arbitrary killings drones do; item 6 is about Monbiot on growth; item 7 is about a somewhat amazing opinion of Danny Alexander; and item 8 makes clear how incredibly much a few major corporations screw the U.S. taxpayers.
- Nov 18: Crisis: Slavery, NSA surveillance, CIA, Morgan Chase, U.S., The Richest 0.01% : Another crisis log: There are 6 items with 6 links: Item 1 is about modern slavery: 1 in 50 human beings effectively is a slave, today; item 2 is about Facebook, Google etc. trying to lobby to curb the NSA surveillance; item 3 is about the CIA and its many excesses and failures; item 4 is about Morgan Chase's policies; item 5 is about the present day America (more terrifying than Orwell); and item 6 is Robert Reich about the richest 1 in 10.000 Americans, with two notes by me.
Also, there is a small earlier Nederlog of today - me+ME: Update about supplements and condition - that is only about a change in supplements I am taking now for 3 or 4 days, that will probably interest very few.
- Nov 17: Crisis: he Left, the rich, Cameron: crash, Tomas Young, Net Neutrality, James Risen : Another crisis log: There are 6 items with 7 dotted links: Item 1 is on The Left and Podemos (and gives some of my views); item 2 is on independent research that shows Osborne has been enriching the English rich at the cost of the English poor; item 3 is about Cameron's fear of a new crash (?); item 4 is about the late and brave Tomas Young; item 5 is about net neutrality; and item 6 is an interview with James Risen, that also has a link to a very fine interview with Diane Roark.
- Nov 16: Crisis: Sen. Sanders, Lincoln, Bill Clinton, U.S., Spying, Goldsmith : Yet another crisis log: This is a crisis file with 6 items and 6 dotted links: Item 1 is about Senator Sanders and his preparations to try to become the next president; item 2 is about a relation between Lincoln and Marx I did not know (with a good quotation of Lincoln); item 3 is about Bill Clinton's - bullshit - economy; item 4 is about America's pseudo-democracy; item 5 is about the great growth of undercover
operations in the U.S.; and item 6 is about the late Sir James Goldsmith, who was economically quite sharp and sensible.
- Nov 15: Crisis: Art, Hillary Clinton, Psychologists, AT&T, Cold War, Quiet Media, Spying, Bill Black : Yet another crisis log: There are 8 items with 8 dotted links: Item 1 is about art & surveillance (and contains some about my own - quite non-standard but very well-informed - ideas about art that you may skip); item 2 is about Hillary Clinton's huge promises; item 3 is about American psychologists, war and government; item 4 is about AT&T (stopped spying) and Verizon (still spying); item 5 is about a new cold war; item 6 is about how the mainstream media serve the U.S. government; item 7 is about a new way of spying on American cellphones; item 8 is a nice video with Bill Black (<- Wikipedia).
- Nov 14: Crisis: Wall Street, Google, The Right, Boots, U.S. Nukes, Kissinger : And yet another crisis log: There are 6 items with six dotted links: Item 1 is about a consequence of the Republican win: The takeover of 100 billion dollars in pension funds to "higher-risk alternatives"; item 2 is about Google; item 3 is about the right that currently controls the English-speaking world; item 4 is about boots on the ground in Iraq; item 5 is about the U.S. nuclear missiles (that are FUBAR); and item 6 is about Henry Kissinger now.
- Nov 13: Crisis: EU, Nature, Hillary Clinton, Internet, Snowden, Binney : And another crisis log:
Item 1 is on tax avoiders, who indeed are the real scroungers, much rather than poor people in the dole; item 2 is on what's left from the natural world heritage (not much, and a third is disappearing); item 3 is on why Wall Street loves Hillary Clinton; item 4 is a piece on net neutrality, that I found a bit too conventional leftish; item 5 is a fine long interview with Edward Snowden; and item 6 is the same with William Binney.
- Nov 12: Crisis: EU, Guardian, Donahue, Roberts, Plutocracy, U.S. wages : Another crisis log:
There are 6 items with 6 dotted links: Item 1 is about the corruptions of Juncker, now president of the EC; item 2 is about The Guardian; item 3 is about Phil Donahue and the silencing of the free press (in the main media) in the U.S.; item 4 is about Supreme Court judge John Roberts; item 5 is about American plutocracy and what to do about it; and item 6 is about inequalities and wages in the U.S.
- Nov 11: St Maarten: The site(s) exist 18 years! : To start with a very small commemoration
that I have a site since November 11, 1996 (and another identical one since August 2004). There is little else, as it probably is only somewhat important to me. There will be a crisis file later today.
And here it is: Crisis: Udall, U.S. Judges, Obama, Reich, Sanders, Amazing Randi : Today's Nederlog contains 6 files with 6 dotted links: Item 1 is about Udall and the chance that he may out the Senate's report on the CIA (hm); item 2 is on a way to judge the U.S. judges; item 3 is on Obama, the internet corporations and net neutrality; item 4 is on an article by Robert Reich; item 5 is on Senator Sanders project for an Election Day and a Democracy Day; and item 6 is on the Amazing Randi (though the wikipedia article on him is better than the NYT article).
- Nov 10: Crisis: UK, Berlin, Catalonia, Veganism, Republicans, "(No) Boots" : Again a crisis item: There are 6 items with 6 dotted links: Item 1 is about a (justified) withdrawal of British rights group from an official inquiry into post 9/11; item 2 is about Berlin as a - relative - "free haven" for tech activists and is good; item 3 is about Catalonia, that voted for independence, though the vote had no official weight; item 4 is Chris Hedges on the virtues of veganism; item 5 is about what American voters will think now they voted a majority of Republicans (and seems a bit naive); and item 6 considers one of the false promises of Obama.
- Nov 9: Crisis: Republicans, Elections, Surveillance, Greece, British spies: And another crisis item: There are 5 items with 5 dotted links: Item 1 is an explanation of why the Republicans won the midterm elections that doesn't satisfy me; item 2 is another explanation, that is slightly more satisfactory, though no consolation; item 3 is a good article on the developing U.S. police state; item 4 is an interesting piece on the media situation in Greece, that may be like it will be in the rest of Europe soon; and item 5 is an interesting article on the gigantic freedoms the GCHQ has
to spy on anyone for everything, including lawyers and their clients.
- Nov 8: Crisis: The new internet, voter suppresion, Obama, Hedges & Wolin, Personal : Another crisis item: There are 5 items with 4 dotted links, but two of these are quite good:
Item 1 is a very good and long article by Sue Halpern that you should read all of; item 2 is an Intercept piece on voter suppression; item 3 is on Obama's nomination of a new attorney general (that is not yet endorsed by the Senate); item 4 is the last item in the series of interviews that Chris Hedges had with Sheldon Wolin, and you should read all of it; and item 5 merely announces my
decision to summarize the main ideas in the crisis series, that currently has over 660 files, and therefore badly needs summarizing.
- Nov 7: Crisis: Muslims, GCHQ etc., Climate, "Crimes", Brussels, Tax Evasions : Again a crisis item: There are 6 items with 6 dotted links: Item 1 shows 12 to 14 Muslim countries were invaded or occupied or bombed by the U.S. since 1980; item 2 shows UK spying agencies also spy on lawyers and their clients (thus giving the government a very unfair advantage); item 3 is about climate change, including recent evidence about pollination; item 4 is about criminalizing human behavior in the U.K.; item 5 is about a large demonstration in Brussels that was torn up by police violence; and item 6 is about the tax evasions very many large corporations do.
- Nov 6: Crisis: Sen. Sanders, Luxembourg, American Politics, Big Money, Corporate Coup:
Another crisis item: This has 5 items with 5 dotted links. Most are analyses of the midterm elections:
Item 1 is a good analysis by Senator Sanders; item 2 is a long file on the corrupt-though-nominally legal Luxembourg's operations; item 3 is about a good analysis of the midterm elections; item 4 is about resistance against big money in politics; and item 5 is about the corporate coup that has been mostly effected in the U.S.
- Nov 5: Crisis: Midterm elections*3, British, Poverty, Verilli, GCHQ, Privacy Tools : Another crisis item with 8 items and 8 dotted links: There are 8 items with 8 dotted links: Items 1, 6 and 7 are about yesterday's American midterm elections, which went very bad for the Democrats and very good for the Koch brothers; item 2 is an article by George Monbiot on TTIP that is good; item 3 shows there are considerably more poor people in the UK than governmental statistics say there are; item 4 is about the lies of a candidate for the American attorney general; item 5 is an article by Julian Huppert about the new GCHQ boss; and item 8 is a good article on programs that can be used for encrypting mail and text.
- Nov 4: Crisis: Hackers * 2, GCHQ, Krugman, Dark Money, Drones, Cellphones, Hedges & Wolin : This is another crisis item with 8 items and 8 dotted links: Item 1 is a somewhat overstated claim on hackers; item 2 treats a defense of a software company's CEO; item 3 is about the new chief of the GCHQ; item 4 is about Krugman on governing the country as if it were a business; item 5 is about dark money and the American elections; item 6 is about a Chinese response to drones: they can shoot them out of the air; item 7 is about cellphone companies and their indelible cookies; and item 8 is another issue of the long interview that Chris Hedges had with Sheldon Wolin.
- Nov 3: Crisis: Cameron, Shakespeare, Satire, Chomsky, Carol, Ventura & Martin : This is
a crisis item: It has 6 items and 6 dotted links: Item 1 is about Cameron's tax credo, which
I agree is totally false and illiterate; item 2 is about Shakespeare and Marx: I mostly disagree, but it is not very serious; item 3 seems to me mostly wishful thinking, but I'd like it if it were correct, though I don't think it is; item 4 is a recent bit on Chomsky, who is right about the world; item 5 is a fantasy piece by Robert Reich, that seems to me a bit too kind to Supreme Court judge Anthony Kennedy and others; and item 6 is a friendly conversation between Jesse Ventura and Abby Martin of some months ago, that I put up because I think both are sensible persons, and because I did not see it earlier.
- Nov 2: me+ME: Autobio 1984 - deel 1: Tot September 1984 : This is not a risis item but another part of my biography: The first 8 months of 1984, told mostly in terms of excerpts of my much longer diary for that year. It is mostly in Dutch. Next, there is also: Crisis: Mitchell, Computers, Fake History, Super PACs, Theo van Gogh : This is a crisis report: I found only four crisis items, with four dotted links, that follow below, but I do not think they are very interesting, except the second item, that was quite new for me, and illustrates how much the internet has simplified computing in fact: Most of present-day computing is done by mobile phones, and not any more by desktops or laptops. The last item is about Theo van Gogh, whom I knew, and who got murdered today ten years ago.
- Nov 1: Crisis: Sen. Sanders, Corporations, Engelhardt, Judge, British, Hazlitt : Another crisis item: There are six items with six dotted links: item 1 has Senator Sanders explain what he thinks is necessary to reform American politics; item 2 has Eskow explain how corporations evicted democracy; item 3 has Engelhardt explain the surveillance state (this you have to read all of); item 4 shows a judge who does not accept the U.S. classified bullshit; item 5 is on the British nonsense on drugs
(that lasts now since 1968, in my own experience, but probably willl continue); and item 6 is not a crisis item but is about one of my most favorite writers.
- Oct 31: Crisis: Spyware, Intercept, NATO, Money, Hedges &Wolin, Police, "Free Markets", M.E. : This is another a crisis item: This is a crisis item with 8 items and 9 dotted links: item 1 is about a new way (it seems) to spy on anyone and avoid encryption; item 2 is about The Intercept itself; item 3 is about NATO's cyberwar; item 4 is about how ordinary people get defrauded by the deals the Justice Department makes with the rich bankmanagers; item 5 is another isssue of the interview Chris Hedges had with Sheldon Wolin on Real News; item 6 is about the abuses of the internet spying; item 7 is Ralph Nader on the deceptive and totally false myth "the free market";
and item 8 is about a recent finding at Stanford University about people with M.E.: Their brains really are effected.
- Oct 30: me+ME: me+ME: Update about supplements and condition + Dutch bit on vitamins in 1987-8: This is not a crisis item but is about the disease I have since 1.1.1979, without getting
almost any medical help, and without the Dutch bureaucrats allowing I am ill, which they do in my
case to make my life as difficult and poor as they can make it: I criticized the drugscorrupted mayors
of Amsterdam, who helped turn over at least 250 billions of dollars merely in soft drugs alone, the last 25 years, i.a. from the house where I lived. In any case: This is mostly about my disease and orthomolecular medicine, and will interest few. There will be a crisis log later in the day.
And here it is: Crisis: GCHQ*2, FBI, U.S. Warrior Cops, Assange, Snail Mail, "terrorism", Citizenfour: There are 8 items with 8 dotted links: Item 1 and item 7 are about the state terrorism that the British state does against the rights of its inhabitants, which indeed is justified by "Citizenfour" in item 8, that is, what is justified is that the state behaves as a terrorist, for it steals all the information anybody puts on the internet, on the pretext that they are battling "terrorism"; item 2 shows that the FBI is now asking for pemission to invest any computer anywhere with malware; item 3 is about the arisal of the warrior cop in the U.S.; item 4 is by Julian Assange on a meeting he had (in 2011) with Google's CEO; item 5 shows that in the U.S. all snail mail gets photographed, and much opened; and item 6 explains that "terrorism" is mostly a pretext for state terrorism.
I also uploaded a third file today: The autobiographical Nederlog of August 8 got today extended
with an English survey of the whole year that opens my journal for 1984.
- Oct 29: Crisis: Assange, Snowden, Pope, Revolution, Press, Hedges &Wolin, 15 signs : Another crisis item: This has 7 items and 8 dotted links: Item 1 is on Assange's plight; item 2 a bit on Snowden with an extra link on how to communicate with your privacy in tact; item 3 about the pope, who believes in evolution and the big bang; item 4 is about the coming revolution (which is presented more strongly than I would have); item 5 is on the radical decline of the free press, and dates it's start plausibly as around 1980; item 6 is about part 4 of the interview Hedges had with Wolin (and is the most interesing in this Nederlog, I think); and item 7 is a list of 15 signs that are supposed to support that the U.S. government is paranoid, while I take it they are not so much paranoid as implementing a program, indeed away from democracy, and implemented for and by the rich.
- Oct 28: Crisis: British Stasi, Brand, Poor, Grayling, EDD?, Snowden 2, Greenwald : Another crisis item: There are 7 items with 7 dotted links: Item 1 is on the Stasi that is currently operating in the UK; item 2 is on Russell Brand, whom I can't take serious though he probably is honest; item 3 is about the British poor and the British parliamentarians; item 4 is about Grayling's defeat (for now) in the House of Lords; item 5 is about Robert Reich's qualification of U.S. parliamentarians, that I think is to friendly (but I am poor and ill, unlike Reich); item 6 is about Snowden 2 who may have been found; item 7 is about Greenwald on the Canadian government, and introduces a question about fascism that I have.
- Oct 27: Crisis: Free Press, American law, Banks, Income inequality, Capitalism : And another crisis item: There are 5 items with 5 dotted links: Item 1 is a fine article by Chris Hedges on "the free press" (mostly dead, in the main media); item 2 is in fact about the corruption of the law and enrichment of the police or state bureaucracies; item 3 is about banks; item 4 is about income inequality (which I think should be the main political end, that is: to make them less by taxing the rich more); while item 5 points out, quite correctly, that "capitalism" is - at least - ambiguous.
- Oct 26: Crisis: Couch potatoes, Silencing, Capitalism, Apocalypse, Corporatocracy : And a crisis item: It is Sunday today, and there are five items with five dotted links, in fact quite interesting: Item 1 is on who killed the internet dream: certainly not the many couch potatoes, I argue; item 2 is about a somewhat silly discussion of internet trolls; item 3 is a very interesting series of interviews with Sheldon Wolin (meanwhile 92) by Chris Hedges, with more to follow next week; item 4 is an interesting and on the whole good piece on liberal and progressive politics by the editor of AlterNet; and item 5 is an interesting piece by Don Quijones.
- Oct 25: Crisis: Nuclear arms, Cameron, Smith, Privacy, Bill Moyers, Koch Congress : A crisis item: There are six items with six dotted links: Item 1 is about nuclear arms and Obama's plan to invest $ 1 trillion dollars in them; item 2 is about Cameron's refusing to pay the EU; item 3 is about the plans of Iain Duncan Smith to get even more money to the rich; item 4 is about privacy, mostly in Europe; item 5 is about Bill Moyers, who at 80 stops with TV; and item 6 is about the many blessings a Republican-dominated Congress will bring.
- Oct 24: Crisis: Torture, Canada, MI5, Citizenfour, American Dream, Financialization, Capitalism : Another crisis item: There are 7 items with 7 dotted links: item 1 deals with Obama's attempts to save Bush and his torturers; item 2 shows the moral degeneracy of the Canadian government; item 3 shows the British MI5 spied for decades on prominent English leftist intellectuals (and I say some things about the spying the Dutch secret services did on my - communist, knighted - father); item 4 is a good review of Poitras latest film on Democracy Now!; item 5 illustrates why the American Dream indeed is dead for everyone who does not belong to the rich 1%; item 6 is a - somewhat technical - article + video on the new economy; and item 7 is a - somewhat journalistic - long article on Spiegel International on how capitalism has gone off the rails (which is - at least - an interesting and indeed true conclusion, in a major European weekly).
- Oct 23: Crisis: Torture, Snowden, Obama, Pentagon, Greenwald on Privacy, Personal: A crisis item: There are six items with seven dotted links: Item 1 is about torture and Obama's evident wish to not reveal anything about it; item 2 is about how Edward Snowden changed journalism; item 3 is a - quite plausible - case that Obama's policies (unlike his talk) are conservative; item 4 is about the Pentagon and its financial irresponsibility; item 5 is the text of a talk by Glenn Greenwald on privacy; and item 6 is a personal item that will interest few, because it is about Norway and Norwegian: I still both read and listen to Norwegian and understand what is said (in spite of the fact that the last Norwegian I heard - till yesterday - is from 1977).
- Oct 22: Crisis: GCHQ, Evil, Euphemisms, Nadella, Twitter, Dark Money, The EU : And another crisis item. There are 7 items with 7 dotted links. Item 1 is about the outgoing GCHQ boss, who was lying; item 2 is about evil or about a disappointing article; item 3 is about euphemisms, and I also don't agree with it; item 4 is about the 84 million dollars the Microsoft boss gets this year; item 5 is about a lawsuit of Twitter that seeks a bit more openness about what it can say to its users; item 6 is about the flood of dark money that is drowning American democracy; and item 7 is about how European democracy is drowning in the European Union.
- Oct 21: Crisis: Hedges on Revolt, Krugman on Obama, Reich on Ebola, Security State, Torture : Another crisis item. There are five items with five dotted links: Item 1 is about Hedges' "The imperative of revolt" and explains that in my view that is mostly an idle hope as things are; item 2 is on Krugman's embracing Obama, which I also found odd; item 3 is about Reich on Ebola, who thinks it is mostly hysteria in the U.S. and I agree; item 4 is about the National Security State, but hands back the problem to "the American people"; and item 5 is by someone writing for the ACLU who may be a little premature. The main item is the first.
- Oct 20: Crisis: Tories' fairytales, Crisis, Risen, Poitras on Snowden, Hudson : Another crisis item with 5 items and 5 links (gathered rather early): Item 1 is on the Tories' economic fairytales, by someone who teaches economics at Cambridge; item 2 is on the crisis and concerns its psychological consequences (which I am a bit more doubtful about); item 3 is a fine interview with James Risen, and item 4 is a fine interview with Laura Poitras, and in both items I also give some of my own views of the crisis; and item 5 is a good interview with Michael Hudson, who teaches economy. This is a bit technical, so I don't quote much of it. As I said, there is a bit on my own view, but I will probably restate that, with a few extensions, in a later crisis post.
- Oct 19: Crisis: Spying, Privacy, Chomsky, Senate Report, Bill Black, James Risen : A crisis item with 6 items and 8 links: Item 1 is on spying, and was a bit disappointing to me, as I explain; item 2 is basically an interview with an Australian writer, who seems to assume privacy is not a human right, whereas it is; item 3 is a long and good interview with Chomsky; item 4 is about the Senate's Report on Torture (still not published); item 5 is about Bill Black's tearing up Paul Krugman's support for Obama; and item 6 is an interview with James Risen.
And I also uploaded the crisis index, which now is up to today.
- Oct 18: Crisis: FBI director, CIA & APA, US 'justice", Neocons : Again a crisis item but with only four items, quite possibly because it is Saturday: Item 1 is on the duplicity of the current FBI director; item 2 is mostly about American psychology that was seriously sick for eight years; item 3 is on the enormous differences in judicial treatments between poor blacks and rich whites, and especially bank managers; and item 4 is on the neocons and their war games.
- Oct 17: Crisis: Citizenfour, Warmaking, Vietnam, New Zealand, Fusion, Risen, TPP : This is again a good crisis file: Item 1 is a good review of Citizenfour; item 2 shows Obama's justifications for his wars are false; item 3 is about a rewrite of history by the Pentagon; item 4 is about a case against a New Zealand journalist, who is close to The Intercept; item 5 considers fusion (which is very important, but sofar more as a hope than as a technology); item 6 is about James Risen's latest book, that seems very good; and item 7 is about the TPP, once again outed by Wikileaks.
- Oct 16: Crisis: UN Report, Strike in UK, Markets Panick, NSA, TTIP : Yesterday there was a decent crisis file, but today I only found five items, of which especially item 1 is good and important: Glenn Greenwald analysing the UN Report that says mass surveillance is illegal.
- Oct 15: Crisis: Hackers, Super-rich*2, Surveillance, Loneliness, Citizenfour, Obama, Kohl : A crisis log with 8 crisis items. You should especially read item 3 and the article reviewed there: this is quite good on the legalities of surveilling, and is by a lawyer working for the United Nations. Also, there are items 2 and 6 on the super-rich; item 5, which is mostly a review - quite praising also - of Citizenfour; and revealing articles about Barack Obama and Helmut Kohl in item 7 and item 8. Also, item 1 explains Windows is still used for spying.
- Oct 14: Crisis: The Rich, Ordained, Morales, NHS, World Economy, Universities : Another crisis log with 6 crisis items. Here is the summary: Item 1 is Good News for everybody who is rich or expects money from the rich, and Bad News for everybody else: The richest 1% owe nearly half of all wealth there is; item 2 is about Chris Hedges' recent ordainment in the church; item 3 is about Morales' re-election in Bolivia, which I think is good, in spite of my being no socialist; item 4 is about the crisis in the English NHS; item 5 about Krugman's diagnosis of what is killing the world economy (and I disagree); and item 6 is about the rich subsidies for the few American private universities as contrasted to the very poor subsidies for the many American public universities.
- Oct 13: Crisis: Economy, Poverty, Politics, Snowden, Cohen, Public Banks, Ecology : And another crisis item with 7 crisis items.
- Oct 12: Crisis: Snowden, Fracking, No-Fly List, English Slang, Marijuana, Books : Another crisis item, but it's a Sunday, and there were only three crisis items, and so there are three items added, one on English slang, one on marijuana, and one on books.
- Oct 11: Crisis: NSA, Snowden*5, Aslan, Coming Revolution : At last a crisis item (with 6 items and 8 links) that has mostly Good News, which is - again - due to Edward Snowden, about whom a new film was made, and who now lives in Moscow with his girl friend since 2009, which is brave of both.
- Oct 10: Crisis: NSA, War, Islamophobia, Corporations, Energy, Obama, Snowden, TTIP : A crisis item with 9 items and 8 links, some interesting.
- Oct 9: Crisis: Ownership, IMF-warning, Guantánamo, War, Universities, Money, Privacy, Dictators : Another crisis item with 8 items, some quite interesting.
- Oct 8: Crisis: Libor, Economy, NCA, Corporations, Twitter, Muslims : A crisis item with 6 items and 6 links. I think most are interesting, notably the items on Libor, the corporations, the NCA and the muslims.
- Oct 7: Crisis: Risen, Guantánamo, Trolls, GCHQ, Internet, Clegg, Welfare, US doctors, Islam : A crisis item with 9 items and 10 links. At least the items on Risen, Trolls, Internet, Welfare and US doctors seem interesting.
- Oct 6: Crisis: Inequality, Police, Clegg, Segarra, Stanley L. Cohen, NSA, Big Pharma, consumers : Again a crisis item with 8 items and 9 links. I think the items on inequality, Segarra, Cohen, the NSA and Big Pharma are all interesting.
- Oct 5: Crisis: Tories *2, Nuclear, Ebola, Drugs, Education, Sadists, Whistleblowers : Another crisis item with 8 items, though the seventh is not part of the crisis.
- Oct 4: Crisis: Scahill, Inequality, NSA, Spying, Judge, Osborne, Rand : This is another crisis item with 7 items, that I think are all interesting (for various reasons).
- Oct 3: Crisis: NSA, Greenwald, Tories, Thatcher, Censorship, Holder, Inequality, Growth, Merkel : And another crisis item with 9 items, with a number of rather interesting articles.
- Oct 2: Crisis: Definitions, Guantánamo, Tories, Mothers, Austerity, Species, Food, War, TTIP : A crisis item with 9 items, mostly continueing earlier items.
- Oct 1: Crisis: Extinction, NSA etc., Sanders, Isis, Extremism, Holder, The Guardian, Apple: Another crisis item, with quite interesting information, notably on the enormous extinctions of animals since 1970, on surveillance by the NSA and 16 other secret agencies, and about Senator Bernie Sanders. Also - among other things - The Guardian got an Emmy for its reporting on the NSA.
- Sep 30: Crisis: EO 12333 *3, Neoliberalism, "Terror", U.S. Medicine, English "democracy" : Yet another crisis item, with quite interesting information on an Executive Order of 33 years ago that underlies most current U.S. spying, on how the U.S. government propagandizes, on how corrupt the current U.S. medical world is, and on English "democracy" (that gives no choice between neoliberalism and neoliberalism, apart from terminological bullshit).
- Sep 29: Crisis: Wages, Cameron, Hedges, Depleted Uranium, Black on Holder : Another crisis report with some interesting bits.
- Sep 28: Crisis: British Conservatives, Political Lying, British sex, Berners-Lee : A crisis report and one - on a Sunday - with just four items, though all are interesting.
- Sep 27: Crisis: Klein, Obama*2, U.S. Military, FBI, McGovern, Iceland, Economics : Again a crisis report. I think several items are interesting (but you may skip item 1, if not interested in my reasons).
- Sep 26: Crisis: Holder resigns * 2, Bug, Real Owners, Cameron, Censorship : A crisis report.
I think that the second file on Holder and on the Real Owners are quite interesting.
- Sep 25: Crisis: Obama*2, Next Crisis, Snowden, Economics, Arendt, Medicine, Hedges : Another crisis report with some interesting items, notably on economics and Obama's honesty.
- Sep 24: Crisis: Surveillance, Totalitarianism, Crisis, Syria*2, British Labour Party : Yet another crisis report - this time one which is a bit more theoretical in the first three items. (I like this, but it may not be for everyone. Even so, you should at least check out the first item, by Richard Stallman.) Also, the last three items are less theoretical. I think most of this report is interesting. And I updated the crisis index until today. And I also updated a few things in my Philosophical Dictionary today.
- Sep 23: Crisis: Australia, Climate*2, Wall Street, U.S. Academia, Apple, Banned, Munchausen: Another crisis report (with one item on medicine).
- Sep 22: Crisis: Climate change *3, Great Britain, United States : Yet another crisis report. This one has no less than three items on the climate change marches of yesterday, but then that seems to have brought out half a million people. Apart from that, at least the item about Great Britain is
- Sep 21: Crisis: Krugman, FBI, Environment, CIA, Obama vs Putin : And yet another crisis report. Some of the items - Krugman, CIA, Obama vs Putin - definitely are interesting. (But it is a Sunday today.)
- Sep 20: Crisis: Russia, Google, Journalism, China, CIA, Learning, European Justice : Another crisis report with some interesting items.
- Sep 19: Crisis: Scotland, Israel, Cameras, President, Population, Money & Politics : And another crisis report, starting with "No" in Scotland.
- Sep 18: Crisis: Snowden, Goodman, Poitras, Black, Brown : Another crisis report, with five items. I think most items are interesting, if also for the most part about various backgrounds.
- Sep 17: Crisis: Scotland, Klein*2, Chomsky, Perpetual War, Equal Pay, Engelhardt : This is again a crisis report. I suppose the items on Klein and Chomsky may be interesting, but I do there
also state my own opinions. Also, the Equal Pay item is interesting if bitter: After more than fifty
years of modern feminism and at least three feminist waves (in some of the universities) the pay for women in the U.S. is still 77 cent for women and 100 cents for men, in the same job. I say.
- Sep 16: Crisis: Scotland, GCHQ, Sanders, NSA "Reform", Sweden, Obama, CIA : And one more crisis report with seven items.
- Sep 15: Crisis: New Zealand, Snowden, NSA, Hedges, Klein, TTIP, NSA & GCHQ, Orwell, Wall Street : Another crisis report, this time with nine items, including the first article - I think - by Edward Snowden. Quite a few items are quite interesting.
- Sep 14: Crisis: Snowden, Int'l Law, War?, God, Spyware : This is another crisis report, this time with five items. It's published a bit earlier than is normal.
- Sep 13: Crisis: Obama*2, 2/3rd, Climate, Tech Giants, Brave New Orwellian, Senate, Yahoo : Another crisis report with 8 items and 9 links. I think it is quite interesting, but I agree it also is
- Sep 12: Crisis: Obama *2, Scots, Yahoo, British Conservatives, Money-In-Politics : And yet another crisis file with interesting items.
- Sep 11: Crisis: Obama *2, Beheadings, Go-Slow, China, Dr Healy : Another crisis file with six items and seven dotted links. I think at least the items about Obama's latest war ("against terrorism") and China are interesting.
- Sep 10: Crisis: Sen. Sanders, Scots *2, UK graduates, dementia : This is again an ordinary crisis file. Apart from the first item it is all about Great Britain, but this wasn't planned by me (and is in part because of Scottish independence, that may be elected next week).
- Sep 9: Crisis: Corporations, Drugs, Nixon, Berkeley Fights Again, Disrupt : This is an ordinary crisis file. It is a bit pessimistic, but then that is also what the news offers (according to my eyes). Also, I updated the crisis link in all Nederlogs of September, which I forgot to do till today. And I
updated the crisis index till today.
- Sep 8: Crisis: Torture, Celebgate, Politics, Think Tanks, Security, Evil, Wall Street : This is an ordinary crisis file. At least the first three and the last two items seem interesting to me (for various reasons).
- Sep 7: me+ME: Update about supplements and condition : This is the first of two files today, and this is not about the crisis, but about me and M.E. It will not be interesting for you, unless you are interested in me or in M.E. There will be a later file on the crisis today. And here it is: Crisis: U.S. police, poverty, Scots, Iraq, NATO summit : This is an ordinary crisis file with five items.
(The silliest is item 2.)
- Sep 6: Crisis: U.S., Media, "Legal" memos, Detroit, Scots, Cameron, Education, Disruption, Money :This is an ordinary crisis file with nine items, from a Saturday. Some are interesting, but some are not all they seem (it seems to me).
- Sep 5: Crisis: CIA-journo, Celebs & NSA, Limits, Corporations, Bees, Le Carré, Gitmo :This is again an ordinary crisis file with seven items, quite a few of which seem interesting to me. (See the beginning of the article.)
- Sep 4: Crisis: Obama*2, Torture, Cameron, Free & Open, Naked Pics, College Prices : This is an ordinary crisis file with seven items. I think the ones about Obama and Cameron are interesting, and you should read the article on creating free and open societies: This is one approach, and it is well done.
- Sep 3: Crisis: US & ISIS, Ukraine, NSA, Scots, Gitmo : This is again an ordinary crisis file with five items. I think most are interesting.
- Sep 2: Crisis: Labor, Money (?), Merkel, Israel, College, Overworked U.S. : This is an ordinary crisis file with six items. Especially items 2 and 4 may be interesting.
- Sep 1: The first file of today is the fourth index file for the crisis (that got logged since September 1, 2008): Crisis: Index file: 601 and further. And there will be a crisis file later today. Here it is:
Crisis: NSA, Climate, UK "terrorism", terror & "terror", 7th year of crisis
- Aug 31: Crisis: UK Terror, Social Networks, No Wars, 9/11, Intercept : This is again an ordinary crisis file with five items. Tomorrow there probably will be the fourth crisis file, as a start.
- Aug 30: Crisis: UK terror, Capitalism, Taxation, Rendition, Gaza : This is an ordinary crisis file with five items.
- Aug 29: Crisis: Sen. Warren, Bonuses, Class, Tax Scam, Torture, Sanders, Cellphones : This is an ordinary crisis file with seven items. Especially items 4 and 6 are quite interesting.
- Aug 28: Crisis: British elite *2, To Millenials, War, Stewart, 600 crisis files : This is an ordinary crisis file with five ordinary items, and a sixth on the fact that this is - as I counted: there are 10 more, but not numbered - the 600th crisis file I wrote since September 1, 2008, that is, since six years (minus 3 days).
- Aug 27: To start with, I added a link to yesterday's Nederlog, because it is important. Here is today's crisis log: Crisis: Empire, Terrorism, Gaza, Establishment, Conformism, Oliver, Intelligence.
There are some interesting items in it, notably the fourth, fifth and seventh.
- Aug 26: Crisis: Snowden*2, Gaza & ICC, U.S. police, U.S. schools : This is an ordinary crisis file with five items.
- Aug 25: Crisis: Internet, Brutalized, Corporations, Hitler, Wall Street Presidency : This is an ordinary crisis file with five items, all interesting, I think.
- Aug 24: Crisis: Surveillance, DSM-5 index, Magnesium & M.E. : Well... this is a crisis file, but in fact only the first item is about the crisis. There were no more crisis items, and so I added an update of the DSM-5 index, and gave a warning about magnesium. Probably there will be more tomorrow.
- Aug 23: Crisis: Wall Street, Great Britain, U.S. journalism, Internet neutrality : This is another crisis file, from a Saturday. The first two items are quite interesting.
- Aug 22: Crisis: Censorship*2, Human Rights, Racism, Metadata, Unfree Press : Another crisis report, mostly but not only about the free press.
- Aug 21: Crisis: Intercept, Anonymous, Iraq, Food, Banks, CIA, Pain : This is a crisis report, even though some of its items are not about the crisis.
- Aug 20: Crisis: Facebook users, Piketty, Obama, Ferguson*3, Sir James Goldsmith : This is another ordinary crisis file but it has the merit of including a link to an interview with Sir James Goldsmith, who in 1994 foresaw very much of the economic development since, which he also was
quite opposed to, for excellent reasons.
- Aug 19: Crisis: U.S. Democracy, Ferguson, Crisis, Justice, Stewart on NSA : This is an ordinary crisis file with five items.
- Aug 18: Crisis: CEOs, Assange, Risen, Ferguson, American pay, Jews, lobbyists welcome : This is an ordinary crisis file with seven items. It got written and uploaded a bit earlier than normal because I have to do some other things.
- Aug 17: me+ME: Over geestelijke gezondheid en gestoordheid - III : This is not a crisis file but part III of a Dutch essay I wrote in 1986-1987 and lost, until I found Part I in 2013 and Parts II and III in July of this year. There are two more parts, but they are in a less ready state than the first three, and I do not know yet what to do with IV and V. I will comment on this later in Nederlog, and
there also will be an English crisis Nederlog later today. And here it is: Crisis: SWAT teams, Kerry and Clinton, UK, internet : I liked especially item 4 in it.
- Aug 16: Crisis: Getting hacked, Gaza, Corruption, Capitalism, Surveillance, Europe : This is a crisis file with six items, indeed all about various aspects of the crisis.
- Aug 15: Crisis: It's crisis, U.S. police, Orwell abused, medicine*2 : Another crisis file with five items.
- Aug 14: Crisis: Snowden *3, Gaza, Greenwald, Wessely : This is another crisis file with six items, the last of which is about one of the very few good things of the crisis: Less money for
psychiatry, in Great Britain, at least. (This is good mostly because of the badness and fraudulence of much psychiatry these days.)
- Aug 13: Crisis: NPR, Guantánamo, Torture, ICC, Israel, Munchausen : Another ordinary crisis file, except for the last item, although that is about the crisis in medicine.
- Aug 12: Crisis: Free Press, Simon Leys, Quiz, Blue Gold, Medicine, Corporations : This is a crisis file with a few more videos linked in than is usual, and a piece about Simon Leys I like.
Also, I updated the latest crisis file.
- Aug 11: Crisis: Sick British Police, Water, Obama, Fraud, Illusions of Evidence : Another ordinary crisis file.
- Aug 10: Crisis: Stakeholder capitalism, Democrats, Wikipedia, Spyware, Ali, Watergate : This is another mostly ordinary crisis file.
- Aug 9: Crisis: Propaganda, Whistleblowers, Putin, Klein, Authoritarians, Agnotology, NYT: This is an ordinary crisis log (except that I have said some about my own whistleblowing, for I did do that, and twice no less, though without any success). Also, I uploaded the last autobiography file, about 1983, to the autobiography section, as number 26.
- Aug 8: Autobio: 1983 - Meer terreur, UvA, scheiding : This continues my Dutch autobio. (This file will also be copied to the autobiography section, and very probably will there be changed some.) There will be a crisis log later in the day. And here it is: Crisis: Snowden, Chomsky, Spying, 1 Percenters, On me and M.E. - and I note this contains a last section on me and M.E., with a point about anti-depressives that may interest some.
- Aug 7: There are two files today. First, Some of the poetry I wrote : This is just what the title says, and the poetry is in English. I think it's good and indeed it has been praised by several persons (including Judith). Second, Crisis: Another Snowden?, Treason, Banks*2, Brennan, Gaza, Personal : This is an ordinary crisis file.
- Aug 6: Crisis: "Terrorists",Warsi, North Korea, Gaza, "FreeMarkets", New Leaker, Illouz, Banks : This is an ordinary crisis item with 8 items. I think it is quite interesting.
- Aug 5: Crisis: Great Brittain, Snowden, Siegman, Greenwald*3, U.S. Law : This is again an ordinary crisis file with seven items, most of them updating earlier points, with - accidentally - three about Glenn Greenwald.
- Aug 4: Crisis: Israel*4, UK &CIA-report, Germany & TPP, 4th Branch : This is an ordinary crisis file with seven items, though four are about Israel & Gaza (and one is about John Kerry's being spied on by the Israeli secret service). And the article on the Fourth Branch of government, which are the security services, of which there are 17 in the U.S., seems the most important, in terms of long term developments at least.
- Aug 3: Crisis: "Free markets", Pay, Censors, Israel, Intelligence, CEO Pay : Another ordinary crisis file with some interesting items, of which there are six.
- Aug 2: Crisis: Brennan's lying, CIA tortured * 2, Israel, M.E. and mB12 : This is an ordinary crisis file with four items (on a Saturday) plus an update on a change I made in my supplements.
- Aug 1: First, a mostly Dutch article: me+M.E.: Over geestelijke gezondheid en gestoordheid - II. In fact, this continues May 21, 2013, when part I was published. Next, there is today's crisis file:
Crisis: Whistleblowers, Russia, CIA lied, Germany, "evidence" : Again an ordinary crisis file with five items (there wasn't much, except about the CIA's lies).
- July 31: To start with, I uploaded the Nederlog files of July from which I removed references to a - very useful - non-html editor I use, that insists on leaving its markings in the header files. I do not like this but can only remove them or not use the editor (which I like). I may have to do this for all of this year (I do try to remove them, and removed most of them, but I am often tired), although that depends on my health. And here is today's crisis log: Crisis: Australia, NSA, Congress, Jewish, Israel, Abramson, Totalitarian Future : It is a fairly long one, with interesting items.
- July 30: Crisis: Terrorism, Internet, Wikileaks, The Rich, CIA, Totalitarian Future : This is another regular crisis log, with 7 items. And I repaired the table at the end, that got skewered two days ago.
- July 29: Crisis: NSA, Banks, Multinationals, Architecture, Microsoft, Nuclear, Chaos, Cristensen : Another regular crisis item, with 8 items, though the Architecture item is there mainly because I hate modern architecture: There are more.
- July 28: Crisis: Reboot Economy, WW I censorship, NYT Pot, Wall Street Democrats : Another regular crisis item, with 4 items.
- July 27: Crisis: Google etc., just terrorism, CIA-chief, Lessig & Hedges, Orwell : This is an ordinary crisis report with four regular items, on a Sunday. Because I thougt this a bit little (and I am feeling decent and it is less warm than it was) I threw in a last bit about Orwell.
- July 26: Crisis: Missouri, NSA, Snowden, Threats, Orwellian Statistics, Cold War : This is another ordinary crisis report, with 6 items. The first one is quite heartening, which is something
of an exception...
- July 25: Crisis: Gaza, Undue Process, Watch List, M.E. and mB12 etc. : Another ordinary crisis report, albeit a brief one, which therefore is supplemented by a bit about my M.E. and supplements.
- July 24: Crisis: Rulebook, Palestinians, CDC, Terrorism, Ignorance, British Spies : This is a crisis report that is ordinary, although it does contain some interesting items.
- July 23: me+M.E.: About my philosophy : To start with not another crisis file but a fairly brief, though many-linked, answer to the question "what is your philosophy?". There may be a crisis file later. And here it is: Crisis: Snowden*2, Germany, War, Corporations, Violence, Blair, Police
This is mostly an ordinary crisis log, except that it has three videos, two being recent interviews with Snowden (I finally got working).
- July 22: Crisis: Decline of justice, Threats, Greenwald, Tracking : Another crisis report with four items, one a bit philosophical, though relevant to the crisis.
- July 21: Crisis: Morozov, Hedges, Washington's Blog, Russell (according to Rée) : Again a crisis report. This is fairly ordinary, and the bit about Russell does not relate to the crisis.
- July 20: Crisis: Snowden*3, Vast Databases, Cameron, Sabbatical, Carlin : This is again a crisis report that again is not quite ordinary: there are three articles on Snowden, and also two on the horrors wrought by Cameron's government. At the end there are two videos with George Carlin, which are there to amuse you, with truth.
- July 19: Crisis: Snowden *2, Greenwald, Chomsky, Rochester, Pilger : This is a crisis report but it is not quite ordinary: The first two are based on loooong articles on The Guardian; the third on an interview with Glenn Greenwald; the fourth is a long interview with Chomsky by Hedges I have no time to review today, but list; the sixth is not about the crisis but about Earl Rochester, who is a favorite poet of mine (dead since 350 years); and the last is a good long film by John Pilger. Enjoy!
- July 18: Crisis: Snowden, Greenwald, Banks, Assange, Capitalism, Jobs : And again an ordinary crisis report, with six items. The first four are somewhat interesting at least.
- July 17: Crisis: NSA, The Rich, Citigroup, Spies to Police, Snowden, Facebook : This is again an ordinary crisis report, with six items.
- July 16: Autobio: 1981-1982 - Terreur van een gevaarlijke gek : This is in Dutch, apart from the brief introduction, and belongs to my autobiography. There may be another crisis file today, but it doesn not look probable right now, as I must do some things.
- July 15: Crisis: Greenwald, GCHQ*2, DRIP, MPs bugged, Germany, Oliver : Another ordinary crisis file, with a fine contribution by Glenn Greenwald. I also updated the crisis file till today.
- July 14: Crisis: Snowden, Israel, Cybersecurity, USA, revolving door : An ordinary crisis file with some interesting items, especially the last two.
- July 13: Autobio: 1980 - Nieuwe Keizersgracht etc. : This is part 24 of my autobiography. The main text is in Dutch, and for a considerable part was also written in 1980. There will be a second file today about the crisis, though it will not have many items. Here it is: Crisis: Corporatism, Merkel, Facebook, Torture, Dutch : This is again an ordinary crisis file, although for some reason most items are a bit more reflective than is normal. (The last bit is on my Dutch writings, of which you got an item earlier today.)
- July 12: Crisis: Guardian, NSA, surveillance, civil rights, Germany, Snowden, personal : Another ordinary crisis file. I like item 3 in these seven items.
- July 11: Crisis: Cameron, Germany*2, Goal of NSA*2, Guardian, me+M.E. : This is again an ordinary crisis file, with some interesting information on the goals of the NSA and ending with a very brief bit about me.
- July 10: Crisis: Snowden, Bahamas, Surveillance*2, Privatization, CIA, Assange,
Media, TYT, medicine : This is mostly an ordinary crisis issue, but it has 11 dotted links spread over 10 sections, that don't even fit on one line. Well... I have done my best.
- July 9: Crisis: Greenwald & NSA * 4, Police, Banks, More NSA, my Dutch writings : Another ordinary crisis issue, with links to Greenwald's latest piece, and more, and ending with a non-crisis
section on my Dutch writings (of which I discovered rather a lot more a few days ago).
- July 8: Crisis: "Terrorism", CIA, Assange, Sports, Clinton, NSA, Chomsky : Yet another ordinary crisis issue, even without any non-crisis bit. Tomorrow? (I have no idea, but the M.E. theme will have to wait for some 2 weeks.)
- July 7: Crisis: Facebook, Clinton, Ministers, Merkel, NSA*2, Reich, me+M.E. : This is yet another ordinary crisis issue, except for the last bit, that updates what I take, and reflects briefly
on the current states of medicine and psychiatry, which are primitive and ignorant, at least as seen from a 100 or 200 years in the future (while present day medics and psychiatrists often pretend to understand and know everything, at least to their ignorant patients).
Also, I adjusted the font format in the item Mens and loaded that up earlier today. (Part of it was too large.)
- July 6: Crisis: NSA *4, Congress, Reich, CIA, Monty Python : Another cirisis issue, with more items than it may seem from my title: 9 dotted links spread over 8 sections.
- July 5: Crisis: Snowden, XKeyscore, Binney, Public Owners, Independence, Germany: This is yet another ordinary crisis issue.
- July 4: Crisis: Orwell, Propaganda, Shocking?, NSA, Independence Day, Videos : This is another ordinary crisis issue, and I think all items but the third (explained there) are interesting.
Also, this got uploaded a bit earlier than is usual (for I must go out).
- July 3: Crisis: Court cases, "Freedom", NSA, Exception, "Free Trade", me+M.E. : Another ordinary crisis issue, with a last item on the status of my M.E. and my eyes (I am not well, but
am less bad with M.E. than I was during this whole century, which is something, at least apart from my eyes, that also still are improving).
- July 2: Crisis: "independent", Snowden, Harrison, Chomsky, Cameron, Monty Python : This is another ordinary crisis issue, but I did not like the first and the last item (and the last item is about Monty Python, whom I like).
- July 1: me+M.E: The books I wrote (and the essays as well) : This is not a crisis issue, but
a survey of what I wrote that is accessible on my site: 40 books and 15 essays, and that is rather
a lot less than I have written in all. I liked doing this, and had not realized it is as much. And there
probably will be a crisis issue later today.
In fact, here it is: Crisis: NSA-chief, Facebook, Snowden, Children (PTSD), SCOTUS, Pitchforks : This is another ordinary crisis issue with six items, of which I especially like the last, which is by a very rich American.
- June 30: Crisis: Japan, Clinton, Spying, Poor People, NSA, Medical "Science" : This is another ordinary crisis issue with six items, although the last is mostly about - the corruptions of - modern medicine.
- June 29: Crisis: Responsibility, NSA, On Dissent, Militarizing Police : And another ordinary crisis issue with four items. This is on a sunday. It so happens I somewhat disagree with all four articles, but on different grounds and to different extents, and I explain why.
- June 28: Crisis: Anti-NSA, SWAT Teams, Kochs, "Job Creators", Spying : Another ordinary crisis issue with five items. This is on a saturday.
- June 27: Crisis: 4th Amendment, Crisis?, SCOTUS, Spying, Personal : This is another ordinary crisis issue with some interesting items.
- June 26: Crisis: Privacy, SCOTUS ruling, Bankers, Snowden, the TISA scam : This is an ordinary crisis issue with some good news (Scotus ruling) and some bad news (TISA scam). I think it is quite interesting.
- June 25: Crisis: May, Assange, Greenwald, Bees' Deaths, Drones, Raging Bull-Shit : This is another crisis issue, with some interesting items, including two links - to a good film and a fine song - at the Raging Bull-Shit site.
- June 24: On Psychiatry 2: On confusions and misunderstandings concerning the DSM-5 : This is not a crisis issue but part 2 of the On Psychiatry series. This does have a new appendix of today.
Also, there probably will be a crisis issue later in the day. Here it is: Crisis: Drones, Propaganda, Rich Senators, Blair, Internet, Healy : An ordinary crisis issue.
- June 23: Crisis: Scaremongers, Ghouls, Empire, Iraqis, "Terror Studies" : Another crisis issue.
I do not think this is very interesting, but it is all I could find.
- June 22: Crisis: Bletchley Park, Gitmo, Global Corporatocracy, American media : This is yet another crisis issue. I think at least items 1 and 3 are quite interesting (though not disposing to happiness).
- June 21: Crisis: FISA, Liberties, TISA, NSA spying, Privacy, me+ME+mB12 : This is another crisis issue that, for the first time, sees some proposed reigning in of the NSA's spying. Also, the last item is not about the crisis but is about my current mB12-protocol.
- June 20: Crisis: Guardian, Trust, Surveillance, RAF, Deregulation, Wikileaks, Disclosure : This is another crisis issue, with some interesting items. Earlier today I also uploaded 7 files from March that had or linked to files wrong dates in their titles: See the beginning of today's Nederlog.
- June 19: Crisis: NSA *3, Cheney, Reich, Nader, Sheldon Wolin : This is again a crisis issue, with some quite interesting items, perhaps mostly in the beginning, though the last is also quit interesting.
- June 18: Crisis: Britons, Bush Jr., American ignorance, Snowden, Heidegger : Again an ordinary crisis issue with an addition at the end that is not about the crisis: This time it is about Heidegger, whose "Black Notebooks" have been published, and show him to have been a complete and dedicated Nazi.
- June 17: Crisis: Great Britain, Monbiot, atom bombs, U.S., EBM : This is an ordinary crisis issue, except for the last bit, that is about the false and fraudulent concept of "evidence based medicine" (that made many millions for its propounders).
- June 16: To begin with, I cleaned up today the Nederlog of June 14, 2014, that was full of strange
replacements of " and ' by three diacritical marks. I do not have much of an idea about what caused this, and am sorry: it should work now.
And there is this: Crisis: Van Buren, Chomsky, Pope Francis, British taxes, Updates : This is an ordinary crisis log, with several good items.
- June 15: Autobio: 1979 - ziek : This continues my Dutch autobiography and deals with the year my ex, Anna, and I fell ill, both in January 1979. There probably will also be a crisis report later today. In fact, it is here: Crisis: Internet, Boarding, Blair, Clinton, Cameron, Personal : I do not think it is very interesting, but I present what I found.
And I uploaded today: autobioTOC.htm, autobio22.html and autobio23.html, and that is the same as the above Autobio: 1979 - ziek, except that I have made some changes in autobio23.html (and there may be more later). Also belonging to the last file: BrownSky.jpeg.
- June 14: Crisis: Newspapers, Surveilling, Suicides, CEOs, NSA *2, Iraq, Lies : This is again a fairly ordinary crisis report, except that it is for two days (instead of one), and contains some interesting pieces on various subjects. Also, it is the longest crisis report of this year, so far.
- June 13: On Psychiatry 1: On natural philosophy, philosophy of science, and psychiatry : This is not an item of the crisis series, and is in fact a repeat of Jan 23, 2011. It is here because I have written now for over a year about the crisis, and I need some relief and some other topics. This is another topic: I decided to gather a number of my best writing on psychiatry under the general title "On Psychiatry" and this is the first of them. There will be more about the crisis tomorrow.
- June 12: Crisis: Terrorism, May, Stone, Hayek, Personal: five shocks : This is yet another ordinary crisis item, with a last item that is less crisis related, for it explains five changes I lived through with computing. (Indeed, the first four were beneficent, but the last was not.)
- June 11: Crisis: Snowden, Europe, NSA, "Labour" Party, Cantor, Personal : This is another ordinary crisis report, with a last item that gives a short and long video, both good, on Glenn Greenwald, together with my reasons not to like "talking heads" videos much (and indeed the same holds for any meetings, indeed except when the speaker is really good, which is very seldom).
- June 10: Crisis: Russia/USSR, "medical science", tech companies, US democrats, personal : And yet another ordinary crisis report, except for the personal part, in which I briefly reflect on my
knowing Edward Snowden's name for a year, today.
- June 9: Crisis: Hedges, FBI, CIA, Greenwald, Personal : Another ordinary crisis report, with four items plus a personal section with links to Maher, Vidal and Martin. And I updated the crisis index until today.
- June 8: Crisis: Wales, Guardian, Whistleblowers, Mass Surveillance, Russ Tice : And another ordinary crisis report, with five items. There is no theoretical exposition of the crisis today: That will have to wait.
- June 7: Crisis: Snowden, Greenwald, Ignorance, Tax Reform : Another ordinary crisis report. It is a Saturday today, and there wasn't much,but there are four articles on various aspects of the crisis.
(There may be a theoretical one on the crisis tomorrow, but since I did not sleep enough last night that is not certain.)
- June 6: Crisis: Snowden*3, NSA, Secrecy, Vodafone, Shield, Seattle, Reset the Net : This is another ordinary crisis report. It does contain quite a bit about and indeed by Edward Snowden; I use some evil names (many time used against me, and no: I never went to court) to describe the present and previous US government, who have been totally corrupted by the promise of absolute power; and I end with something you may do to make the NSA's surveilling you more difficult.
- June 5: Crisis: Germany, Great Britain, US, Totalitarianism, Corporations, Spying, Personal : This is an ordinary crisis report. The last item contains references I forgot. Two are on health, and may have limited interest, but the third is fine interview by Abby Martin of two former NSA men.
- June 4: Crisis: Greenwald, Rogers, Blair, Oliver, Chomsky, Van Buren, Wheeler : Another ordinary crisis report, but with some fine articles: At least the last four are really well done, and I recommend you read all of them - and no: it will not make you feel better, I admit. But even so.
- June 3: Crisis: Stone, Zapatistas, Krugman, Corporations, Free Press * 2 : This is again a somewhat ordinary crisis report, that is, it is ordinary, except that I did not much like the first four
articles, which I - briefly, rationally - explain.
- June 2: Crisis: NSA, Carbon, Freedom, Tiananmen, Guardian, EMA : This is again an ordinary crisis report, though the last item is health-related (but medicine is in crisis as well). I also uploaded yesterday's file to the autobio-section, and made some changes and added some links.
- June 1: Autobio: 1978 - Tweede helft van het jaar : This is not a crisis report, but a part of
my autobiography, written in a mixture of English and Dutch, mostly because I am quoting from
a journal of 1978, that has a lot of English.
- May 31: Crisis: Capitalism, Ellsberg, Greenwald, Extinctions, Snowden : Another ordinary crisis issue. I think this is more interesting than yesterday's Nederlog (but in the crisis series I present what I found, and it is not my fault if there isn't much), especially the first and fourth items.
- May 30: Crisis: Snowden, Debate, Kerry, Impeachment, Elites : An ordinary crisis issue. This contains a brief discussion and a link to the NBC interview with Edward Snowden, but the link may have been pulled by the NBC, that insists on its copyright.
- May 29: Crisis: Snowden * 2, Growth, Prince Charles, Inequality, On the crisis : Again an ordinary crisis report, which has at the end a continuation of May 26 i.e. about the crisis series.
- May 28: Crisis: Moglen, Lagarde, China, Eskow, Greenwald : This is an ordinary crisis report,
but the first item is long and very much worth reading.
- May 27: Crisis: Piketty, War, Drones, China, Private Equity, Derivatives, Friedman : This is again an ordinary crisis report, with some interesting items, such as the last.
- May 26: I updated today the On Intellectuals file of Jan 30, 2013, in Nederlog, but this only concerns a small typo, and updated the Index: 401 and further file of February 13, 2014, also in Nederlog. There will be a crisis file later today: Here it is: Crisis: Pentagon, Paine, Greenwald, Obama, Europe, Crisis : This is an ordinary crisis report, except for the last section, of which more is to follow, that is about the crisis reports.
- May 25: me+M.E.: Encryption, Suzy Chapman, "dry eyes", M.E. : This is not a crisis report, and it isn't because there were not sufficiently many items. So I decided to write some about my "dry eyes" that I have for 2 years now and my M.E. that I have for 36 years: In case you are not interested - as you well may not be - there will be (very probably) another ordinary crisis report tomorrow.
- May 24: Crisis: Greenwald * 2, "Freedom Act", Occupy=terrorists, Wikileaks, News :
And another crisis report, with rather a lot of material and a summary.
- May 23: Crisis: Snowden+Greenwald * 2, Pentagon, Lavabit, Johnston : Another crisis
report with some interesting news about Snowden and Greenwald.
- May 22: Crisis: NSA * 2, Senate, Obama, Conformity, Drones, Toddlers : This is another ordinary crisis report, with several interesting items, notably about the Senate's powers (gone: the executive power prescribe what they cannot read), and especially on Conformity, that explains reasonably well why I am 1 in 10.000 (or less) and why at 64 I earned less than anybody else of my age. (THE reason: I am critical of Our Leaders (who deal in illegal drugs and spout endless lies).)
- May 21: Crisis: Germany, Reich, Whistleblowing, Clinton, Dr. Healy, Maher : Another ordinary crisis report.
I also uploaded the first Excerpt file of my notes to Multatuli's Ideen with an extended foreword (of today).
- May 20: Crisis: Greenwald, NSA *2, Bahamas, Cisco, McMillan, Taibbi : This is yet another
ordinary crisis report, and it has some quite interesting (links to) articles.
- May 19: Crisis: Revolution, Eurasians, Piketty, Surveillance, NSA, Spying : Another ordinary
crisis report, with some interesting (links to) articles.
- May 18: Crisis: NSA=fascism, children, Guantánamo, Net neutraility, SCOTUS, "ADHD" : This is an ordinary crisis report. It contains some interesting articles (links to them), but most of it will not make you any happier.
- May 17: me+ME: Multatuli en de Filosofie : This is not a crisis report (it is also a Saturday, and there was very little) but is a Dutch essay I wrote in 1987 about Multatuli and Philosophy. I thought I had put it in Nederlog already, but couldn't find it. Also, I should translate it, since it is quite good and quite original.
- May 16: Crisis: Britain, Journalism, Greenwald, Net neutrality * 2, Big Data : And another crisis report, this time a bit smaller and produced a bit earlier than the last days (for I want to go cycling). It also is not a very important one.
- May 15: Crisis: USA, spying, Greenwald, Privacy, Miller, 500th crisis report : Another crisis report with some interesting articles, and also with a non-crisis item on Henry Miller, and a brief
reflection on the fact that I wrote (at least) 500 crisis reports since September 1, 2008.
- May 14: Crisis: Greenwald, GCHQ *2, EU Court, Pay Inequality, NSA Reform : This is another crisis report. It reviews quite a few interesting articles.
- May 13: Crisis: Greenwald *2, Reich, Glaciers, Soviet Man, mB12-protocol : This is the crisis report of today. I think the two Greenwald pieces (again) may be the most interesting, but the piece about Russia also is interesting.
- May 12: Crisis: Greenwald *2, the state, imagination, Obama, M.E.-day : Today's crisis report. It is an ordinary one, though it has two items on Glenn Greenwald, but that is because his last book will be published tomorrow, and also one on M.E., which is because it is the international M.E. day today, and I have the disease 36 years and the diagnosis 25 years, but no help, and not even the admission that I am ill by the Amsterdam bureaucrats (of whom I suspect many to be quite rich through protecting the illegal drugs cafés everyone can meet many hundreds of, in proud Amsterdam). Then again, I use the occasion to explain why I will write a whole lot less about M.E.
Also, I updated the last index of the crisis to the present date.
- May 11: I finished - well... see further on - today my edition of Multatuli's Ideen (all in Dutch), namely by finishing the excerpts + indexes of my notes to them. I had finished - well... see further on - his ideas plus my notes in 2007, but then got stuck with excerpting and indexing my notes, and mostly remained stuck because of my ill health till this year.
As to the finishing: I need to do a bit more on my notes + indexes (and may compile something else from these, if I find the health and the time) but it is at long last mostly done. I also need to run through all of the Ideen, mostly because the backgrounds disappeared in many (and because I want links to a background image in the same directory as the ideas are in).
But OK: It did get it mostly finished today, and it took from 2001-2014, but then no other Dutchman ever did anything like it. There will be a note on this in today's Nederlog, that follows later. See here:
Crisis: NSA, Bees, anti-NSA bill, TPP, Multatuli's "Ideen" : Today's crisis report, with four items about the crisis plus a fifth about finishing Multatuli's "Ideen".
- May 10: Crisis: Obama's directive, McMillan, US propaganda, digital library : Again a normal crisis report. The ones on Obama's directive - you will be prosecuted if you name Snowden, if you are a person employed, now or ever, by the US government, or so it seems - and on propaganda may be interesting for many, at least.
Also, I made and uploaded the Index Excerpts 7B of my notes to Multatuli's "Ideen". A few things need to be done, but it is almost finished, and all I need to do then is the Index Excerpts 7C.
- May 9: Crisis+philosophy: Alexander, Tech Giants, House, Snowden, Marx, GCHQ, Philosophy : This is a fairly normal crisis report, except that it has at the end a bit more about philosophy, that continues yesterday's piece.
- May 8: Crisis+philosophy: DoJ, Twain, Wheeler, Liberties * 2, Philosophy : This is a bit of an abnormal crisis report: There was very little about the crisis today, so I start with that little and then move to three videos, while I end with two bits about philosophy. Note also that the sections Autobio and Problems that were attached to log/2013 have been deleted, and better versions have been uploaded to philosophy/maartens.
- May 7: Autobio: 1978 - Eerste helft van het jaar : This is not a crisis report, and nearly all of it is in Dutch: It is the last part of volume I of my autobiography. There may be an English crisis report later today. Well, I made it: Crisis: Privacy, America, Six Principles, Reset The Net, SCOTUS, "Moderation": Another crisis report, with a summary at the beginning. And I also uploaded ALL the files of my autobiography, nearly all of which have a few changes.
- May 6: Crisis: Holder's Revelation, NSA*2, US Police, Inequality, Merkel : Another crisis report. You'll find a summary at its beginning. Also, I re-uploaded yesterday's NL with a few corrections (none altering anything, though).
- May 5: Crisis: Post-Constitutional, anti GCHQ, Lapham, Social Sciences, Inequality : A crisis report, with several interesting items, notably the first, fourth and fifth.
- May 4: Crisis: Greenwald, SCOTUS, Merkel, Apple, Willful Blindness : Another crisis report.
- May 3: Crisis: Snowden, Merkel, Obama, Economics, Internet, Drugs Resistant : This is again a regular crisis report. There are several interesting bits, and the last item is a crisis item: there are fewer and fewer drugs that work against the more and more resistant germs of disease, and there is little hope from the pharmaceutical corporations.
- May 2: Crisis: White House, Snowden * 2, enormous drugs corruption, data, mB12 : This
is another regular crisis report. The most interesting bit is about the enormous drugs corruption, of banks and of governments, that exists in Holland and elsewhere. I have a report about elsewhere, to which I add a few of my own findings about the completely drugscorrupt Dutch (where dealing is legally forbidden, but "allowed", for a percentage, by all the authorities: mayors, police, district attorneys, bureaucrats and judges all are deeply corrupt in Holland, for three decades now at least, but for unknown amounts of money). I tried to do something about it, but only got discriminated.
- May 1: me+ME+crisis: Frank Zappa, Multatuli, Abby Martin : This will be filed under the crisis files, but the first section is part of an explanation for the crisis, and also for the sad situation Western civilization is in, which is done with the help of a song of 1 minute, from 1968, by Frank Zappa, that is a good statement of Zappa's social philosophy (as a song). The second section lists my satisfaction in having at long last excerpted my notes to Multatuli's Ideas, but this is only relevant for readers of Dutch. The third and final section lists two videos by Abby Martin, whom I recently discovered, and like: she is smart, sensible and courageous. And there now is also this:
Crisis: GCHQ, Republicans, Warren, Stevens, SCOTUS, Health, BASIC, M.E. : A regular crisis issue, although the last two items are on BASIC, that got 50, and M.E., that indeed may cause encephalomyelitis.
- Apr 30: Crisis: Drones, Maths, Wall Street + Clinton, Unemployment, Greenwald, Personal : This is a crisis report, with an additional item on some items that are coming soon.
- Apr 29: First I should say that yesterday I also uploaded the last index of the crisis series again, for I had repaired it and updated it, but it didn't link properly for the last two months. Now it does. Next:
Crisis+me+ME: Abu Ghraib, Guardian, "the people", internet, SCOTUS, me+ME : This is again a crisis-report, with a small bit about me+ME added at the end.
- Apr 28: Crisis: Merkel, US "justice", Piketty * 2, Hedges, Personal : Again a crisis-report, again with two Piketty-articles (so to speak), but these two are quite good, as is a talk by Hedges.
- Apr 27: Crisis: Pope Francis, Piketty * 2, get money out of politics : Another crisis-report, this time a bit smaller than the fat previous one. At least one of the articles on Piketty (the second one) is worth reading.
- Apr 26: Crisis: Recovery?, Amazon, Wall Street, Inequality, Oligarchy* 2, Pelicans : And yet another crisis-report with 6 items, and one extra, because Pelicans have been launched again, which I, who learned a lot from reading a lot of Pelicans in my teens and twenties, think quite good.
- Apr 25: Crisis: Barclays, Putin, Snowden, Landmark, Wall Street, new FCC rules : Another crisis report with 6 items, summarized at the beginning.
- Apr 24: Crisis: Digital rights, Whistleblowers, FBI, internet, Brazil, Stoller, Personal : And another crisis report, with 6 items + a brief personal one (on coming additions to the site, mostly).
- Apr 23: Crisis: Democracy, Inequality, CIA, US Government, Torture, Clapper, Collapses :
Another ordinary crisis report, with 7 items. And I halved the size of the 2014 index (by removing lots of duplicate references to Verdana fonts, something my eyes still are not really up to).
- Apr 22: Crisis: Values vs prices, welfare, manhood (black), Clinton, taxes, inequality : Another ordinary crisis report, with 6 items and 8 dotted links.
- Apr 21: Crisis: Greenwald * 2, Putin and GCHQ, Precariat, Engelhardt : This is again an ordinary crisis report, with 5 items. Also, I uploaded the last crisis index, that now includes all till today.
- Apr 20: Crisis+me+ME: Mills, CEO-pay, crisis, self (looking back) : This is a crisis report, but it is from Easter Sunday, and there were only two crisis items. Therefore I reported these and added two somewhat general comments on the crisis and myself.
- Apr 19: Crisis: Kochs, Energy, Krugman, Diamond, Obama, Peirce : And yet another regular crisis report, although the last bit is about C.S. Peirce, who today died a 100 years ago, and who
was the most important philosopher the last 200 years or so, in my opinion.
- Apr 18: Crisis: Snowden *3, The Divide, US Oligarchy, Lavabit, Piketty : Another regular crisis report, though the first item contains three dotted links, all about Snowden who had the temerity according to some, and the great courage according to me, of questioning Putin. The other items are about Taibbi's book; the arrival of the fact that presently the US is an oligarchy (yes, it is); some more on Lavabit; and a long essay on Piketty, that I found good and informative.
- Apr 17: Crisis: FBI, Blank Checks, Open Source, Taibbi, Clinton & Obama : A regular crisis report with five items, of which at least the second, fourth and fifth may be interesting, while the third advocates for open source.
- Apr 16: Crisis: Pulitzer Prize, Feinstein, Krugman, US Oligarchy, Robinson, Psychiatry : This is again mostly an ordinary crisis report, at least for the first four of the six items it contains. The last two are mainly my own thoughts about a book of Joan Robinson I read in 1973 and saw now advertised, and about psychiatry, that is not a science.
- Apr 15: Crisis: Polk, Pulitzer * 3, Cellphones, Artificial Photosynthesis : This must be the most optimistic crisis report of the more than 450 I wrote since September 1, 2008: Almost only good news, and the bad news is not really crisis news, but about cellphones, and only there because it may explain (part of) the radical fall in sexual activity I wrote about. Anyway... check it out!
- Apr 14: Crisis: Predicting Crises, Hedges, NSA * 2, USA Oligarchy, Corporate Cash : And another crisis report, that starts with the issue of how to predict crisis, continues with an article by Hedges, followed by two on the NSA, continued with one that insists the USA is no longer a democracy but an oligarchy, and ends with one by Alan Grayson on how good the corporate entities without souls and bodies have it, compared with how bad many with bodies and souls are now.
- Apr 13: Crisis: Capitalism, Silicon Valley, Obama, Government, Torture : Another crisis report, starting with an article about "Capital in the Twenty-First Century", also billed as "Capital". There is more on the failures of Silicon Valley, of Obama and of the American government, and a request made to Dick Cheney.
- Apr 12: Crisis: Torturing CIA * 2, Greenwald & Poitras, NSA, Koch vs Sanders : This is another crisis report. I think it is interesting.
- Apr 11: Crisis: Greenwald & Poitras, Merkel, Ryan, NSA spying : Yet another crisis report, and one were all items are about the crisis - except, perhaps, the first, which announces that Greenwald and Poitras are in the US today.
- Apr 10: Crisis: Heartbleed * 2, Snowden, NSA, Tamiflu : Another crisis report, although the crisis may be considered somewhat absent from the first two and the last item, which are resp. about a safety bug and medicine. Then again, the last definitely is in crisis, again due to deregulations, that gave pharmacological companies the means to keep nearly all of the data in secret (including secrecy about their doing so!) - which means that whatever is produced is a pseudoscience rather than real science, quite independently from how well the science would do if it would get all the data. (For it cannot do well without them: this holds in medicine as in physics.)
- Apr 9: Crisis: Snowden * 2, Greed, Minimum Wage, CIA, Personal : Another crisis report, with five crisis items, including a good one by Robert Reich, and a not so good one on greed, that I use to give the definition, simply from the dictionary, and to show my distaste for Ayn Rand (not so much because of what she said, though I do not like it, but especially because she was stupid - which these days seem to be a necessary condition to be widely known as "a philosopher"). And there is a nice
video for Zappa-fans, and a re-upload of Multatuli's Ideen - 7, both in the Personal section.
- Apr 8: Crisis: Snowden + Poitras, McCutcheon, Loyalty, Torture, CIA : And another crisis report, with five crisis items.
- Apr 7: Crisis: Greenwald & Snowden, British Press, CIA, Rumsfeld, Hudson : Again a crisis report, though there wasn't really much. The last item is and is not about the crisis: it is about a radical economic dictionary.
- Apr 6: Crisis: NSA, Moyes, Torture, United Nations, ME/CFS : Another crisis report,
consisting of four items, of which I like the submission to the United Nations best, that I recommend you read in full. There also is a last item on ME/CFS that explains quite well, and empirically, that I am not making things up, if I say that I feel and am ill.
- Apr 5: Crisis: Scam, Drones, Supreme Court, Chomsky, mB12 : A crisis report, with some interesting things, including an interview with Chomsky, and a written piece by Cenk Uygur and one by Glenn Greenwald.
- Apr 4: Crisis: Senate * 2, Yahoo, Breyer, Super-Rich, Reich, NSA, The Sixties : Another crisis report. This is about the Supreme Court's decision given yesterday; about the Senate's report on the CIA; about Yahoo's encrypting; and about the three proposals to restrain the NSA, of which only one is serious. And I threw in a reference to a film of nearly 2 hours about the 60ies, from 2004, because I liked it.
- Apr 3: Crisis: US democracy much weaker, Donald Rumsfeld, Usher's Syndrome : This is another crisis report. The main news is that US democracy got another hit from the Supreme Court: big money now is almost totally free to spend as much as they want on politics. There also is some about Rumsfeld and about the man who made a filmed interview with him, and a bit by the woman with Usher's Syndrome.
- Apr 2: Crisis: Guardian, NSA, US oligarchy, 1 %, Chomsky : And again a crisis report, this time not a big one because there wasn't much and also my eyes are today pretty lousy. But is is nice that the Guardian is the paper of the year, in Great Britain.
- Apr 1: Crisis: NSA * 2, CIA, Stock Market, Marx Right? : And yet another crisis report, mostly
with updates, though some interesting ones, and with a disquision on the rightness of Marx.
- Mar 31: Crisis: NSA, Hedges, Stock Markets, Obama's Surveillance, Military : And another crisis report, with news on four or five different aspects of the crisis.
- Mar 30: Crisis: NSA * 5, Bonus Babies, War Crimes, Moving On : Another crisis report, which details, among other things, that quite a few NSA players leave, to get pensions or other positions.
- Mar 29: Crisis: Sanders, Obama * 3, Usher's Syndrome : A crisis report, with a bit of an abnormality: I had to undo TOTAL CAPITALIZATION of a good speech by Senator Bernie Sanders.
Also, the last item does not have anything to do with the crisis, but is a brief video of a woman
who hears for the first time in her life. I thought it quite moving.
- Mar 28: Crisis: Obama+NSA * 2, Data Snatchers, Brazil, APA : Another crisis Nederlog. Incidentally the APA in this Nederlog is the American Psychological Association.
- Mar 27: Crisis: Financial Crisis, Snowden, Feinstein, Austerity, mB12-protocol : And another crisis report, with an addition about my mB12-protocol.
- Mar 26: Crisis: Obama & NSA * 6, Reich, Washington's Blog : This is another crisis Nederlog, that this time is mostly given to charting diverse responses to a proposal that Obama made yesterday. My own response is skeptical.
- Mar 25: Crisis: NSA+Obama, Obama+Bush, Spies dominant, Feinstein, Intelligence, Bees : This is yet another crisis issue (and the bees are there because up to 70% of the bee populations died in the US this year, from various causes, and no bees implies a lot less food).
- Mar 24: Crisis: NSA, California, Tribalism, Carter, Guantánamo, Capitalism, Journalism : This is again another crisis issue. The first article is by Glenn Greenwald, and the last item is quoted by me from something I wrote nearly 4 years ago.
- Mar 23: Crisis: NSA vs Huawei * 2, Hedges, Grayson, Press, Obamacare, Personal : This is another crisis issue. I don't think you can't live without it, but I liked the items on Hedges and on Grayson.
- Mar 22: Crisis: TYT, Obama *2, Microsoft, the Pope, Moyers, NSA, Personal : And another crisis issue. I also updated the index files (English and Dutch) to show the right 2014 materials. And I uploaded most of the Help-section again, mostly dated today. Also, I think MEinAdam is mostly in order since a month.
- Mar 21: Crisis: NSA and sys admins, NSA attorney, NSA telephones, world food, WWs, personal : Another crisis issue with some material added on the world wars and on my site.
- Mar 20: Crisis+me+ME: On Politics : There were only two crisis items, so I decided to save them till tomorrow, and instead today reproduce the text of an essay I wrote originally in the beginning of June 1983, and that I had earlier in Nederlog on June 2, 2010. This time it is made part of the crisis series, and I am not sorry of reproducing it, simply because I think it is quite good.
- Mar 19: Crisis: British, "Journalism", Reich, Starving, Snowden, Mathematicians, Personal : This is yet another crisis ussue, that also informs you that I re-uploaded most of the Hazlitt-directory.
- Mar 18: Crisis: Rusbridger, Transparency, Oceans, Maher, Snowden, TYT : This is another crisis ussue, in which it also is reported that I re-uploaded nearly all of the files in Nederlog 2005 because there was no up arrow in them (that points to the index). That has been fixed.
- Mar 17: Crisis: Civilization, Britain's rich, untaxed Americans, LIBOR-fraud, Obama : Another
- Mar 16: Crisis: Massive Apathy, Failing Watchdogs, I Spy, Wall Street, IT, Personal : A new crisis file. Also, I uploaded a few extensions to my Dutch autobio-12.
- Mar 15: To start with, I have re-uploaded Feb 14 - Mar 14 of Nederlog, because it turned out the index at the bottom does not link properly. I think the rest works OK. And there now is:
Crisis: International=national, new NSA plan (?), Intercept * 4, Feinstein : Another crisis issue, with two items of today (of which the first shows the total lack of reason of the US government); four items saved from The Intercept; and a link to the full text of Senator Feinstein's speech.
- Mar 14: Crisis: Metadata=You * 2, Stewart, Reich, erasing history : Again a crisis issue, with some funny and - I think - interesting pieces. The funny one is a video by Jon Stewart; the interesting ones are my reactions to a piece of Reich, about the many parasites I learned to know and tetest in the University of Amsterdam, and some of my ideas about psychiatry, that I wrote out as an introduction to an article by 1 boring old man. (Also, I am feeling a bit better than I have for a long time.)
- Mar 13: Crisis: Greenwald, Feinstein * 3, Goodman, Black, US psychiatry : And yet another crisis report, this time with the latest Greenwald, a lot of Feinstein (but it gets clearer), and a very interesting talk by William K. Black on the roots of the crisis. Also, there is a bit about US psychiatry, which is mostly here as an example.
And I should also say that I have uploaded a new frontpage (or two: an English and a Dutch one) that says, correctly, the site is > 500 MB now; I have re-uploaded parts of the Hazlitt-section (more tomorrow, probably); and also have uploaded all of the Nederlogs of March, to remove an empty line.
- Mar 12: Crisis: Berners-Lee, Feinstein, Machon, Geeks, Nader : Another crisis report, with items about and in part by those listed in the title. I am mostly concerned about Senator Feinstein, but that is mostly because of a glaring inconsistency in her values: 300 million ordinary Americans may be spied upon, by the NSA, but not the members of the Senate, by the CIA.
- Mar 11: Crisis: Snowden, Clapper, corporations, England, psychiatry : Again a crisis report, with several interesting items.
- Mar 10: Crisis: Hedges, CIA vs Senate, Assange, Sanders, Snowden : And another crisis report, this time of average size, I think. Also, it is a little more upbeat than usually, though that is a coincidence.
- Mar 9: Crisis: NSA, CIA, Multinationals, Big Pharma, Personal : Another crisis report, this time fairly brief.
- Mar 8: Crisis: Cycling, Women, Europe, Tracking, California, Economics, DSM rewrite : Mostly about the crisis, with an interesting contribution by Snowden, but with the first two parts about myself and about women, and the last part about the DSM-5.
- Mar 7: Crisis: Assange, incompetence, Snowden, babyboomers, Sanders, Chomsky, Reich : And yet another crisis file, with 7 items.
- Mar 6: Crisis: Obama, Government spying, CIA * 2, Personal : Another crisis issue. This one is mostly about the same thing, but reported in three or four different ways, which this time each bring something new.
- Mar 5: Crisis: Alexander, Obama * 2, Women, Personal : And yet another crisis issue, that will not make you happier but will make you better informed. There also was an update of the crisis index until yesterday.
- Mar 4: Crisis: Clegg * 2, Editorial, Government Interruptions, Chomsky : Another crisis issue.
I think item 4 is quite interesting, although it will not make you happier.
- Mar 3: Crisis: Labour, satellites, collecting NSA-style, suffering, personal : This is again a crisis file, with rather a lot of explanations by me. I will suppose that is because I am feeling a bit better.
- Mar 2: me+ME: On having a communist education : This is not a crisis file, simply because there were no crisis materials on the places I look (over 30), and so I wrote about my own communist education (which I have much less to complain about than most).
- Mar 1: Crisis: Webcam spying * 2, internet security, safe(r) software, personal : And this is another crisis file, in which especially the article on safe(r) software is interesting.
- Feb 28: Crisis: Massive webcam spying * 2, Obama, Begg, Personal : Another crisis file, of which the most important news is that the GCHQ now has a database of millions of faces that were on webcams between 2008 and 2012, including some 10% of nude images. Are they of "terrorists"? Of course not: This is state terrorism, and the state wants everything of anyone, and feels entitled to it as well. Also, the other articles are well done. In the Personal section I explain that I am still working on Chamfort and the ME-section, but haven't finished yet.
- Feb 27: Crisis: GCHQ, DoJ, Cheney, Police State, Personal : This is another crisis file, with some information about planned updates in the Personal section.
- Feb 26: Crisis: Greenwald * 2, internet, 4 Darknesses, Bubble, Personal : This is a crisis file, with reviews of two good pieces by Glenn Greenwald, among other things. Also, I rectify a mistake I made yesterday: I use 1600 mcg of metafolate, rather than 800 (and forgot to multiply).
- Feb 25: me+ME: On being Dutch + on my mB12 protocol : This is not a crisis file but it is about some aspects of being Dutch, and about my current mB12 protocol. Also, earlier today I straightened out some in the autobio-section, and uploaded these files.
- Feb 24: Autobio: 1970 - De Sleep-In en daarna : This is not a crisis file, but one in the series that forms the first version of my autobiography. This is in Dutch, and treats the second half of 1970, when I came to lead a Sleep-In in Amsterdam, and started to live on myself, and again in Amsterdam. (This file will soon be copied to the autobio-section, and probably will there be rewritten some.) There also probably will be a crisis file later today. And it is here: Crisis: Obama, Snowden, Deep State, Germany, SSD, ME/CFS : This is another crisis file, with some good bits, notably the second and third items, and with two medical bits thrown in at the end, because I am really ill for 36 years now. Finally, I updated the autobio with today's file, as autobio-12, and indeed extended this some (only in the autobio-part).
- Feb 23: Crisis: Repo, Corporatism, "Liberals", NYT, TPP, Snowden : This is another crisis file, although it differs from most other crisis files in having three videos. The reason for that is that I couldn't find many written texts, and I liked these videos (that are all by TYT).
- Feb 22: To start with, I have today made a link to my autobiography files in the maartensz section in philosophy, and also added a little text to the TOC of the autobiography files (first version) that explains what I want to do with what there is, and also what the rest is planned to be like. And there now is: Crisis: Judge, Apple, Amazon, Clinton, Personal : This is mostly another ordinary crisis file, and there weren't many items today (a Saturday).
- Feb 21: Crisis: Greenwald, Engelhardt, Jacobsen, TYT, Harding, Personal : This is mostly another ordinary crisis file. The second item, by Tom Engelhardt, is quite good, and I recommend you read all of it. And the last item, Personal, contains a list of the directories I re-uploaded this year. It turns out I did more than half, but the remaining part is a bit more complicated.
- Feb 20: Crisis: Bishops, Merger, Unequal US, Journalists, Blunders, Personal : This is another ordinary crisis file. There are also some links added to earlier autobiographical files (of January 30 and January 24). And there is an extension in this file - news English - under Feb 14: I added the part in brackets.
- Feb 19: Crisis: Clapper * 2, Snowden, Brandis, Greenwald, Parry : And another regular crisis file.
- Feb 18: Crisis+me+ME: Scheer, Assange, Spiegel, Gøtzsche, ads & internet : This is again an mostly an ordinary crisis item, but it ends with a personal reflection on things the internet brought that I do not like, but can't do anything about.
- Feb 17: Crisis: Polk Awards, Dual State, NSA, Obama, TV, sadism : This is again an ordinary crisis item. I do think a few items, such as the one on the dual state, are quite interesting.
- Feb 16: Crisis + DSM-5: It's the deregulation, stupid! : This is in fact, apart from the beginning of the introduction, a repeat from January 11, 2013. My reasons to repeat it are that it is quite good; it is not sufficiently read; and also I can't much improve on it at present, while I wanted to write something like it.
- Feb 15: Crisis: Secrecy, NSA, Snowden Files, Mobsters, "We", Ellsberg : This is again an ordinary crisis file, with some interesting items.
- Feb 14: me+ME: Mijn vader's tekst - "Wij nemen 't wéér niet" : This is not a crisis file and is, apart from the introduction, in Dutch: it is about a text of my father that was published in 1970, and that, at long last, is on my site in readable form (though it could have been done better, with a better scanner and better health). It concerns a booklet of 16 pages, that accompanied the exhibition he and others had created about concentration camps, World War II, and also after it. It was quite radical, but I liked and like it. (My father also got knighted for the - great amounts of - work he did to make the exhibition, which also was the first such exhibition in Holland. This was quite extraordinary in Holland, because he also was a communist, and communists did not get knighted, with just one other exception, in Holland, where the whole Supreme Court consisted of Nazi-collaborators, who never were punished in any way, as hardly anyone was, even though more than 1% of the population was murdered, and very many had collaborated.)
- Feb 13: Crisis: Index file: 401 and further : This is the start of the third index file for the crisis series, that now is going on from September 1, 2008. There may be another file today, but I am not sure, for I also have to do some other things. However, there is: Crisis: Clapper * 2, Fusion, Internet, Snowden, New Normal : Another crisis issue.
- Feb 12: Crisis: NSA, GCHQ, Protesting Global Surveillance * 2, Economy, The Rich, Playing : Yet another crisis issue, with some quite interesting contributions.
I also updated the index to the crisis until Feb 6, 2014, and crisis item nr. 400.
And there now is a brief file about Suzy Chapman me+ME: About Suzy Chapman : The reason is that she, who is one of the most rational and intelligent people who wrote about M.E. and related subjects, has chosen to stop updating her sites. I give a brief explanation, but it is due to me, not her.
- Feb 11: Crisis: The Intercept, NSA, Obama * 2, Starkman, Zappa : Another crisis file, which is a bit special because it registers the arrival of The Intercept, which is part of First Look Media, which is run by Greenwald, Poitras and Scahill. Also, the last item is 59 seconds of Zappian diagnosis, which I agree with (after a small change), indeed from the Sixties onwards. (One problem with it is that it leaves little hope, but then that is what most intelligent men had, or lacked, once they had overcome their teenage dreams: the vast majority is not intelligent, and instead is conformist and that is humanity's biggest problem, by far.)
- Feb 10: Crisis: Snowden, Economy, Pills, Personal : Yet another crisis file, although with only three files, and the third one on psychiatry. But I couldn't find more. I also should say I added yesterday some small corrections and some links to On "All in the Family".
- Feb 9: Crisis+me+ME: Reich * 2, NSA, violin, crow, Zappa : Another crisis file, or at least the first half is. The other three parts are about medicine, an amazingly intelligent crow, and a collection of interviews on the opinions of Frank Zappa. I like these (two videos) and also like my own comments on medicine. (But none is for the dumb or the average.)
- Feb 8: Crisis: Greenwald, GCHQ, Obama, New Web Mag, "Terrorists", Epstein-Bar : And another ordinary crisis file, with 5 items with 7 links on the crisis, and one item on Epstein-Bar (that is there because this is how the disease my ex and I suffer from started).
- Feb 7: Crisis: Snowden (?), Chomsky, TPP, Surveillance, Fight back : Another ordinary crisis file. En autobio-18 van twee fotoos en twee extra alineaas voorzien. (Ik doe dit niet in Nederlog, waar ik gewoonlijk zo weinig mogelijk in herzie.)
- Feb 6: Crisis: Surveillance, Deception, Schröder, inequality US, power to the people, 60ies: This is again an ordinary crisis file. It has some interesting articles, notably the one on deception and on restoring the power to the people in the US (!), by a bill proposed by Nancy Pelosi, and perhaps also the surveillance article, if the February demonstrations succeed.
- Feb 5: Autobio: 1977 - Terug in Holland : This is another part of my autobiography, and is in Dutch. There will be a crisis file later today. Also, I uploaded the file to the autobio-section, where it got renamed as "autobio-20.html". And finally I have this: Crisis: Social Justice, NSA * 2, Global Recession, Digital Independence, Beatles : This is an ordinary crisis file. In case you are bored, you can look also at the last time the Beatles played together, at the end, which is now over 45 years ago.
- Feb 4: To start with, I have today uploaded a new copy of the Nederlog index for 2013 that, quite unaccountably, missed the last four entries, that were quite good. They were there, so I cannot account for their disappearing from the index, but at any rate they can be reached now from the index again. Also, there now is this: Crisis+me+ME: Military, History, Truth, "CFS", me+ME : This has three articles on the crisis, followed by one on ME/CFS, that is followed by a fairly brief update about my condition with ME/CFS.
- Feb 3: me: On myself : There were very few crisis items, and I recently reread my journal for 1977, in which I found an English reply by me, of some three typed pages, to questions posed in a book of Laura Huxley. So I decided to reproduce them here, and added today and yesterday thirty notes. (This is the only time I did answer such questions, and though the questions aren't very good, my answers still mostly satisfy me.) And if you're only interested in the crisis, you'll have to wait till tomorrow.
- Feb 2: Crisis: Snowden, Lavabit, Obama, jail terms, Perkins, Moyes, Orwell, psychiatry : This is an ordinary crisis file, with seven crisis items and one last bit about psychiatry (mostly a repeat, but it is good).
- Feb 1: Crisis+me+ME: SOTU - lies; NSA & climate; open net; probability; pessimism : This is both a crisis file, of which there were only three items, and also covers two items of my own, on probability and statistics, which are often abused because they are rarely well understood, and about pessimism.
- Jan 31: Crisis: Hypotheses about the causes of the crisis : This is an abnormal crisis file: I chart some hypotheses about the causes of the crisis, and do this by quoting from December 25, 2012, which has been strongly supported (in a way very few academic social science hypotheses ever get supported) by Snowden's revelations. This is hopefully a somewhat clearer version - and no, much clearer than it is now I can't make it. Also, there are no updates of my site today, apart from the NL-related ordinary ones.
- Jan 30: Autobio: 1977 - Mijn interesses ca. 1977 : This is not a crisis file but a part of my Dutch autobiography. There will be a crisis file later today. And this is it: Crisis: "Accomplices" * 2, Snowden, Merkel, TPP, BDD, personal : Note the BDD part is about "Bodily Stress Disorder" (the new name for "Neurasthenia", invented without any evidence, to help the insurances save lots of money) and the personal section only refers to the earlier autobio file.
- Jan 29: I re-uploaded today the whole philosophy/aristotle section. This includes the Categories, Ethics, Politics and Metaphysics, with Notes to Ethics and Politics (neither fully done, but Ethics mostly) and also Notes attached to the other two, but not done. And there now is: Crisis: GCHQ * 2, Angry Birds, open source, SOTU * 2, Philips, Schechter, personal : This is mostly a crisis file, though the open source bit is not, and the personal bit only tracks my re-uploading the site. Also, I added Why philosophy is important to my own index (maartensz-index, in philosophy). The reason is that this certainly is the most downloaded file of my site, since many years also.
- Jan 28: Crisis: Russia & Snowden, interview Snowden, spying * 2, stopping NSA, personal : This is another crisis file, including an interview with Snowden (that "disappeared" from Youtube), and a personal section on how much of my sites are re-uploaded.
Also, I uploaded a better edited version of Why Philosophy Is Important, and of the introduction to Russell's Problems of Philosophy.
- Jan 27: Crisis: Snowden, Obama's failures, US torture, NSA, income inequality : Another crisis file. There also is a small personal section.
- Jan 26: Crisis: No Outcry, GOP against NSA, Law, "Citizens United", Dr. Strangelove : This
is another crisis file, with five items and seven main links. (The last two to a non-crisis item: The film Dr. Strangelove, which is either the best or one of the best films I ever saw.)
- Jan 25: Crisis: Hedges repeat, economics, Fukushima, Obama, NSA, psychiatry : This is another crisis file, with six different subjects.
- Jan 24: Autobio: 1976 & 1977 - Met Agnethe in Lom : This is not a crisis file but a part of my Dutch autobiography, and briefly tells about the nearly two years we spent in Lom, working as journalists (that is, Agnethe wrote and photographed, and I drove and did the housework). There will be an English crisis file later today.
And it is here: Crisis: Snowden * 3, US gov. privacy board, international plan : This is mostly about a Q&A Edward Snowden did yesterday, and about the Privacy Board and an international plan to act against global surveillance.
Also, I put the first of the above two files, with a few non-textual changes, in my Autobio, as nr 18. This will later be reviewed, as will the rest of my autobio.
- Jan 23: Crisis: Watchdog report * 2, "evidence based medicine", personal : This is a brief crisis file. (There wasn't much to find, and I also used a lot of energy on undoing an installation of PGP that fucked up Thunderbird, which is the email-program I use, because there isn't any better on Ubuntu).
- Jan 22: Crisis: NSA * 3, Snowden * 2, journalism, enormous inequality, psychiatry* 2 : This is another crisis file, which also includes two items on psychiatry, that is also in crisis.
Also, I saw that much of the French part of my Chamfort-files had far too many empty spaces. I do not know why they are there. I have removed these and re-uploaded (if that is a word) the whole section again.
- Jan 21: First, I repaired the last line links, so to speak, in all the NLs I wrote this year: They are all in the last line, with a different background, and now all work correctly. And there will be a brief crisis file later today, namely Crisis: All slaves, undeserving rich, blackmail not terrorism, Gore Vidal, personal: This is a regular crisis file.
- Jan 20: Crisis: Hedges, NYT, Nakedcapitalism, ME/CFS marker, Personal : This is again a crisis file, but it also has an interesting piece - for me, at least - on ME/CFS and EBV, that suggests a bio-marker, at least for people whose ME/CFS started with EBV, as is the case with me and my ex.
Also, this was written while I was very tired, since I slept little, for some unknown reason.
- Jan 19: Crisis: Greenwald, Obama * 4, Whistleblowers, Snowden, Brooks : This is another crisis file, mostly filled with reactions to his speech of last Friday (17.1.14). My own opinion is thatit was a weak and propagandistic speech that supports the illegal doings of the NSA, but while few seem to have enthusiastically liked it, there were a few who said "forceful", which seems mistaken to me.
Also, I should say that the autobiography pieces are now in philosophy/maartensz, namely here, and that they do need reviewing.
- Jan 18: On my autobio fiiles / Over mijn autobio bestanden : This is only a brief note that I changed the position of my autobio fiiles, and did some editing on them. There also now is:
Crisis: Totalitarian NSA + Obama * 5 + Personal : This is another crisis file, mostly about Obama's speech about the NSA, with a small personal section.
Also, I revised the first five files - until and including autobio-5 - a little, and uploaded that.
- Jan 17: Autobio: 1975 - Met Agnethe in Dovre : This is again a Dutch part, apart from the introduction, and continues my autobiography. This part is about 1975, in Dovre.
Also, there now is: Crisis: Rusbridger, NSA * 2, Obama & NSA * 4, Special Ops, US Judges, Obama's claims : This is a fairly long crisis file, with 9 items.
And I added the last two autobiography files I wrote this month to the autobiography-section.
- Jan 16: Crisis: British press, Ai Weiwei, NSA & metadata : This is an ordinary crisis file.
- Jan 15: Autobio: 1974-1975 - Agnethe in Amsterdam & Dovre : This is a Dutch part, apart from the brief introduction, of my autobiography. This deals with 1974 and the beginning of 1975, when I started living in Norway, for nearly three years, that were the best years of my life. (More to follow.)
Also, there now is: Crisis: Internet, Germans, Krugman, Obama, NSA : This is an ordinary brief crisis file.
- Jan 14: To start with, I have added several notes (all those with letters); added to some notes; added quite a few links; and made some corrections to yesterday's Nederlog. And there now is also:
Crisis: NSA & Metadata, NSA & Myths, NSA & fools, personal: This is an ordinary brief crisis file, with a brief personal addition.
- Jan 13: On over twenty years of living alone : This is not about the crisis but about myself.
- Jan 12: Crisis+me+ME: NSA, Reich, Lessig, being alone, dieticians pseudoscientists, FBI, Obama : This is both about the crisis and also is not, and I may later return to the article I present about being alone, since it is quite good and quite long.
- Jan 11: On "All in the Family" : This is not a crisis item, but is about seeing "All in the Family", which was a prominent sitcom in the Seventies, that I mostly - except for some 5 episodes - did not see then, but that I saw the last month on Youtube. One reason to write the review is that the series
caused me to laugh more in the last month than I have done since 2000. Other reasons are given in my text: It was innovative, funny, and dealt with many ongoing civil and political problems, that also still exist. In any case, this was quite enjoyable for me.
- Jan 10: Crisis: NSA, Wyden, Ellsberg, EU on spying, Chomsky, TPP, Personal : This is another
crisis report + a personal note.
- Jan 9: Crisis: Great Britain, Obama and NSA, whistleblower, Norway : And yet another
crisis file, with seven items, although the seventh is not about the crisis but about Norway, which was a far better place to live than is Holland.
- Jan 8: Crisis: NSA insiders, NSA as King George, Greenwald about 1971 break-in : Another crisis file, this time with three background items. Also, I have updated the index file of the crisis series, until today. And I have adjusted the indexes of Nederlog, so that each index of each year
can be reached from any year.
- Jan 7: Crisis: NSS, NSA, Great Britain, Europe, Medicine, Phoenix Rising : Again a crisis file,
though the last two items are medical, or at least relate to that.
- Jan 6: Crisis: Exit US democracy, NSA*3, the left, drugs trials : Another crisis file, with a good - if depressing - article by Chris Hedges and one on the corruption of modern medicine, and four others.
- Jan 5: Crisis: NSA * 2, Greenwald * 2, Pauly vs Leon, Born to Buy, Redistribution : Another crisis file, including two items on the "reply" of the NSA to Senator Sanders.
- Jan 4: Crisis: Sanders, Johnson, DSM-5, TYT : This is also a crisis file, of which the first item - a letter of Senator Sanders to the NSA - is probably the most important. Also, I updated the opening of the site to refer to the latest Nederlog index and summaries, both the English and Dutch versions.
- Jan 3: Crisis: Academics, Speculators, Cameron, Drug companies, Nader to Bush : Another crisis file, with five items. Also, inserted the note  in the relevant places in crisis files since December 28, 2013, whence it got deleted by mistake. And also uploaded some not yet uploaded
items to my Philosophical Dictionary, including one I wrote today on Wittgenstein.
- Jan 2: Crisis: Assange, Snowden, Congress, 2014, News, Judge, Sleep, Suicide: A crisis file, with seven items on the crisis, and the two last on problems that concern me.
- Jan 1: Nederlog 2014: Updates for the new year: The record of changes with a little about ten years of Nederlog and about planned updates. I prepared The analytical index of Nederlog for 2013 and provide the link in case you want to search by subjects. There is no list of subjects, but you can search. There now also is: Crisis: Two videos. This is two brief videos, one by Robert Reich, the other by Patti Smith.